It has been 30 years since a blazingly fast 3-year-old named Spend a Buck changed the face of the Triple Crown. read blog
The Florida horseman helped select Kentucky Derby winner Spend a Buck as a yearling for friend Dennis Diaz. Fuentes then raised and broke the 1985 Derby winner and Horse of the Year.
Spend a Buck, whose Kentucky Derby (gr. I) clocking of 2:00 1/5, remains the fourth-fastest of all time, died in November from anaphylactic shock in Brazil.
A portion of another historic Thoroughbred farm in central Florida has been sold. Hunter Farm, which spans more than 320 acres near Ocala and features a three-quarter-mile dirt track and one-mile turf course, has been divided up into five parcels by owner Dennis Diaz, who raced champion and 1985 Kentucky Derby winner Spend a Buck.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- NYRA Privatization Bill Filed