It has been 30 years since a blazingly fast 3-year-old named Spend a Buck changed the face of the Triple Crown. read blog
The Florida horseman helped select Kentucky Derby winner Spend a Buck as a yearling for friend Dennis Diaz. Fuentes then raised and broke the 1985 Derby winner and Horse of the Year.
Spend a Buck, whose Kentucky Derby (gr. I) clocking of 2:00 1/5, remains the fourth-fastest of all time, died in November from anaphylactic shock in Brazil.
A portion of another historic Thoroughbred farm in central Florida has been sold. Hunter Farm, which spans more than 320 acres near Ocala and features a three-quarter-mile dirt track and one-mile turf course, has been divided up into five parcels by owner Dennis Diaz, who raced champion and 1985 Kentucky Derby winner Spend a Buck.
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt New OBS Sale Topper
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- Speedway Stable Strikes Late for Malibu Moon Filly
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Stronach Group Supports Bill to Bring in USADA
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired