First Samurai, a leading 2-year-old of 2005, sired his first winner when his son Hornblower posted a 1 1/4-length triumph at Hastings Racecourse June 19,
Nick Zito's Florida Derby (gr. I) winner heats things up over a sloppy Churchill Downs surface April 23.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
By one of the hottest sires in American and out of a stamina-oriented mare, Ice Box has bloodlines that indicate he's a smart pedigree pick for the Triple Crown races.
Ice Box, the less fancied of two runners trained by Nick Zito for owner Robert LaPenta, ground out a nose victory over another outsider, Pleasant Prince, in the $750,000 Florida Derby (gr. I) March 20.
Grade II winner Spice Island has been retired from racing because of a minor injury suffered in the Oct. 10 WinStar Galaxy Stakes (gr. IIT) at Keeneland.
Most Popular Stories
- Day By Day
- Seven Derby Hopefuls Bred Outside Kentucky
- NBC Sports Group to Air Derby, Triple Crown
- Breeders' Cup Challenge Series Expands
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Daily Updates
- 40-Day Santa Anita Spring Meet Starts Friday
- Social Inclusion Breezes, Preakness Likely
- Champion Steeplechaser Flatterer Dies at 35
- Light on 2-Year-Olds? Blame the Weather
- Los Alamitos Derby to Carry $1 Million Bonus