When my wife, Denise, and I decided to get into the horse racing business as owners, we used the same approach taken when entering a cold swimming pool. First, we stuck in a big toe.
As a breeder, how then do we stack the deck heavy? Female family inbreeding (FFI) offers a statistically significant improvement over other techniques for breeding champions.
A trio of offspring by Australian leading sire Fastnet Rock commanded the top prices at the opening session of the Magic Millions Gold Coast yearling sale Jan. 9.
Yearling brings Aust$180,000 ($161,752 in U.S. funds)on auction's second day.
Earlier this year the silks of Denise Martin, a well known, much loved and highly successful buyer and syndicator of racehorses, were made famous with the two group 1 wins by champion 2-year-old Sebring.
One week after his Golden Slipper victory, Sebring wins the Sire's Produce Stakes, the second leg of the 2-year-old Australian Triple Crown. He will contest the one-mile Champagne Stakes May 3 in an attempt to sweep the series.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Stradivari Recuperating After Surgery
- Lady Aurelia on Track for Prix Morny
- The Gurkha Edges Galileo Gold in Sussex
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Legends: Lady's Secret, the Iron Lady
- Gun Runner Arrives at Monmouth for Haskell
- PA Report Shows Impact of Slots on Purses
- Favored Amis Gizmo Captures Prince of Wales
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle