An international conference on research to improve the health and welfare of jockeys will be held at Monmouth Park in New Jersey Sept. 15-16.
The International Federation of Horse Racing Authorities Advisory Council on Prohibited Substances and representatives of the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium recently met in Lexington during the 75th convention of the Association of Racing Commissioners International and were sponsored by The Jockey Club.
Preliminary results of an ongoing body-weight study of jockeys in Ireland indicate more than half of the riders studied had osteopenia--the presence of less than normal amount of bone--which if not treated may result in osteoporosis.
Most Popular Stories
- KY-bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat