Jockey Mirco Demuro rode Screen Hero to an upset over Deep Sky in the Nov. 30, US$4,639,000 Japan Cup (Jpn-I) at Tokyo Racecourse.
Unheralded Marbye finished the best of several runners in the closing stages to register a half-length victory in the Prix d'Astarte (Fr-I) for fillies and mares at Deauville Sunday.
Japan saw its first Triple Crown contestant in six years clinch the series' first two legs, as Neo Universe claimed his sixth victory in a row, the Nippon Derby by half a length June 1 at Tokyo Racecourse.
Sunday Silence progeny continued their sweep of this year's group I races as Japan's equivalent of the 2,000 Guineas, the Satsukisho (Jpn., I), went to race favorite Neo Universe (Sunday Silence -- Pointed Path, by Kris) by a head over second pick Sakura President (Sunday Silence -- Sedan Forever, by Maruzensky).
Racing in the colors of Scudero Il Poggio for the final time, Rakti defeated Aidan O'Brien-trained Ballingarry by 1 1/2 lengths in Sunday's Derby Italiano (Ity-I) at the Capannelle.
Most Popular Stories
- Bowman Wins Hong Kong Jockey Championship
- Thoroughbred Makeover Accepting Applications
- Castellano Aims for More Gulfstream Success
- Casse Mulls Derby Path for Classic Empire
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- What's Going On Here: Next Up
- Sherman Accepts Big Sport of Turfdom Award
- Sportech New Tote Provider for Ellis Park
- HK Jockey Club, Longines Extend Partnership
- BloodHorse, Weatherbys Launch Stallions App