Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer and jockey Russell Baze have won a lot of races together, mostly in northern California. But Saturday they began the stakes program on Kentucky Derby day with a win in the $229,000 Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II).
Trickey Trevor, the 7-5 favorite, led from gate to wire under jockey Russell Baze to win Friday's $100,000 Forty-Niner Handicap at Golden Gate Fields.
California-based bloodstock agent Mike Loomer died May 25. Services will be held in Hemet, Calif., on June 2. He was 62.
Globe-trotting millionaire Running Stag, a son of Cozzene who was scheduled to begin his stallion career at Frank Stronach's Adena Springs Kentucky near Midway, will start his career instead at Adena Springs South near Ocala, Fla.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Gunnevera Leads Busy Sophomore Work Slate