Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer and jockey Russell Baze have won a lot of races together, mostly in northern California. But Saturday they began the stakes program on Kentucky Derby day with a win in the $229,000 Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II).
Trickey Trevor, the 7-5 favorite, led from gate to wire under jockey Russell Baze to win Friday's $100,000 Forty-Niner Handicap at Golden Gate Fields.
California-based bloodstock agent Mike Loomer died May 25. Services will be held in Hemet, Calif., on June 2. He was 62.
Globe-trotting millionaire Running Stag, a son of Cozzene who was scheduled to begin his stallion career at Frank Stronach's Adena Springs Kentucky near Midway, will start his career instead at Adena Springs South near Ocala, Fla.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Outwork, Destin Turn in Final Derby Breezes
- Olorda Front-Running Winner of Bewitch
- 3 Kentucky Derby Longshots to Consider
- Lady Shipman Returns to U.S. In License Fee
- Lani Works in Perplexing Fashion
- Le Havre colt a Guineas sale pinhook coup