The horsemen's group at Finger Lakes racetrack in upstate New York approved a deal Feb. 27 permitting the track to remain open this year in the face of new gambling competition that's expected to eat into purse account funds.
The head of the horsemen's group at Finger Lakes Gaming & Racetrack is predicting the end of racing at the upstate Thoroughbred track, after a new state government budget deal failed to protect purse levels.
Companies that plan to construct new racetrack gaming facilities in Ohio have been summoned to appear before the Ohio State Racing Commission for a third time March 27.
Finger Lakes Casino & Racetrack has started construction on a $12 million expansion of its video lottery terminal facility.
James W. Simms will serve as president and general manager of Miami Valley Gaming & Racing, a new facility being developed in southwestern Ohio's Warren County, it was announced Feb. 1.
The Ohio State Racing Commission put racetrack casino developers on notice Jan. 10 when, at a hearing, members expressed strong displeasure with the racing aspects of the proposed Miami Valley Gaming and Racing facility.
The Warren County, Ohio, government Nov. 13 approved plans by Churchill Downs Inc. and Delaware North to build a racetrack casino that would replace Lebanon Raceway.
Delaware North Companies, which operates Finger Lakes racetrack in upstate New York, has joined in the bid by Empire Racing to operate the three New York tracks currently under the auspices of the New York Racing Association.
- By Tom LaMarra
Friends of New York Racing, a nonprofit entity formed to devise a new economic model for New York racing, has proposed a profitable public/private structure for the New York Racing Association and installation of video lottery terminals at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Three Trustees Named to National Museum Board
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- What's Going On Here: Upper Crust
- New York Discusses Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance