Water, designed to keep Del Mar's Polytrack more consistent from morning to afternoon, also led to three track records opening day, July 16, at the Southern California track. The five races carded over the synthetic surface were run at four different distances, with new marks set at 5 1/2 furlongs, six furlongs and a mile.
Nearing the midpoint of its 43-day season with a new Polytrack racing surface in place, Del Mar officials reported increases Aug. 10 in handle and attendance -- and no catastrophic breakdowns on the synthetic main track.
Most Popular Stories
- NYTHA Has Plan to Deal With Election Protest
- New York Panel Announces Winning Casino Bids
- Canterbury Park Announces 2015 Stakes Slate
- Indiana Grand Reports Increased Wagering
- Bell to Head Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance
- Tax Break on Racehorses Passes Congress
- Court Decision Threatens Illinois Racing
- Aussie Sale Buyers Can Request Steroid Test
- 2014 Auctions Digest
- Newsmakers of 2014