Dehere, the champion 2-year-old male of 1993 and sire of 77 stakes winners, has died in Turkey. The son of two-time leading sire Deputy Minister is the broodmare sire of Take Charge Indy, Will Take Charge, and Midnight Lute.
Daniel J. Lopez's Geeky Gorgeous, a winner of three stakes races last year, has been named New Jersey-bred Horse of the Year for 2013.
Smith Farm and Stable's Javerre, a winner of four races last year, has been named New Jersey-bred Horse of the Year for 2012.
If any 2-year-old has a license to do well in the $150,000 Sapling Stakes (gr. III) Sept. 5 at Monmouth Park, it's Daniel Ljoka's homebred Awesome Son.
New Farm's homebred Wild Gams, a two-time stakes winner last year, has been named 2008 New Jersey-bred Horse of the Year. Wild Gams also garnered honors as champion handicap female.
Hobeau Farm's 8-year-old mare Lilah carried apprentice Rajiv Maragh to his first graded-stakes victory Sunday in a front-running three-length victory in the $100,000 Hurricane Bertie Handicap (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park.
Nelson Bunker Hunt's Souris battled with You Glitter Girl for a half-mile before putting away that rival in the stretch en route to a two-length victory over favored Christmas Time in the $75,000 Top Flight Stakes Saturday at Arlington Park.
Eleven-year-old Numerous has been sold to the Head family's Haras du Quesney and will stand at that French nursery in 2003.
A top price of $180,000 was paid by John Oxley for a Defrere colt to top Wednesday's session of the Keeneland September yearling sale.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- Sherman Says 'Chrome' Looks as Good as Ever
- Top Filly Princess of Sylmar Retired
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Big Gains Mark Keeneland Sale's Day 11
- Illinois Board Has Tough Call on 2015 Dates
- Undrafted Returns in Kentucky Downs Turf Dash
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Pedigree Analysis: Inbreeding Trends
- Filly First Winner for Line of David