Definite Edge, a 5-year-old son of Deputy Minister and a $600,000 Keeneland September sale yearling, will stand at Hutchinson & Edlund Thoroughbreds near Murrieta, Calif.
Top Triple Crown hopeful Siphonic worked five furlongs in 1:00 1/5 over a fast track at Hollywood Park Saturday in preparation for the March 17 San Felipe S. (gr. II) at Santa Anita.
- By Steve Haskin
Early Kentucky Derby favorite Siphonic, who came out of his second-place finish in the Santa Catalina Stakes with a "stiff neck," after stumbling badly at the start, returned to the work tab Sunday, breezing an easy half in :50 2/5 at Hollywood Park.
U S S Tinosa tracked in third early on before kicking clear in the stretch to win the restricted Sham Stakes by 4 1/2 lengths at Santa Anita Friday.
Friday's Sham Stakes could have more bearing on the Kentucky Derby picture than many of the bigger stakes run this time of year. With Bob Baffert and Wayne Lukas scrambling to find one of the last remaining paths to Louisville, the nine-furlong race could provide that path or just about end any hopes the two past Derby dominators have of making it to Churchill Downs with a leading contender.
Hot Contest and Definite Edge, two likely starters for the Feb. 8 $75,000 Sham Stakes, were out for exercise Friday morning.
This is it, the final report for 2001. Starting next week, we'll officially be on the 2002 Kentucky Derby trail, as the major scenes shift to Gulfstream and Santa Anita, joining the already-in-progress Fair Grounds and Aqueduct meets. We close the year with the Hollywood Futurity and several more impressive maiden and allowance victories.
Most Popular Stories
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- U S Officer, Cool Arrow Set for Springboard
- Trainer Davis Looks Forward to More Success
- Santa Anita Moves American Oaks to Dec. 31
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Northwest Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Track Maintenance Internships Being Offered
- Ward Joins Water Hay Oats Alliance