Finishing seventh in last year's $100,000 Hanshin Cup Stakes (G3), Crewman turned the tables in this year's event, when he won by a neck at odds of 25-1 May 13.
Black Tie Affair, the 1991 Horse of the Year, was euthanized July 1 at Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Facility in Georgetown, Ky., due to the effects of laminitis. He was 24.
It looked to be a one horse race heading into the gate for the $100,000 Lady Hallie Handicap at Hawthorne. But in the end, it was the small show bettors doing best of all.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Morning-Line Pick in Wide-Open Haskell
- Fayeq Impresses in Saratoga Allowance Victory
- Stellar Wind, Vale Dori Face Off Again in Hirsch
- Into the Gray Brings Graydar First Winner
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- Look Back: Bernardini's Dandy Score at Saratoga
- Ascend, Bigger Picture to Clash in Bowling Green