Master Command will carry top weight of 121 pounds while breaking from the rail Saturday at Monmouth Park in the 72nd Philip H. Iselin Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) and face seven rivals. The Iselin, worth $250,000, has a post time of approximately 4:52 p.m. EDT.
Minge Cove was beaten 2 1/2 lengths in the Herecomesthebride after a troubled trip. The winner, Lucifer's Stone, had just taken an entry-level allowance and owned a decided experience edge. When the two meet again in Sunday's $100,000 Sands Point Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-old fillies at nine furlongs on grass, Minge Cove might have a better shot .
Jockey Chris DeCarlo suffered a fracture of the L1 vertebrae of the lower spine after being thrown to the ground during the ninth race Thursday at Gulfstream Park.
The bird has flown, leaving us instead with the Aventura Stakes, Gulfstream Park's $250,000 replacement for Hialeah's signature Flamingo Stakes that served as a springboard to the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) for the likes of Citation and Seattle Slew. Based upon the returns of the inaugural Aventura, run on April 6, none of the nine 3-year-olds are likely to follow that path.
Deeliteful Irving's win in Gulfstream's Pan American Handicap (gr. IIT) on March 23 was what trainer Todd Pletcher hoped for, but it wasn't what he expected.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion
- Kandaly, 1994 Louisiana Derby Winner, Dies
- Oaklawn to Offer Bonuses for Lasix-Free Wins
- 2013 Breeding Activity Statistics Released
- Jockey Club: Study Shows Lasix Not Needed
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Study Examines EIPH and Racing Performance
- Breeders Sales Co. Expects Strong Auction
- That Handicapping Show: Pennsylvania Derby