Thomas Van Meter II's Be Gentle took the early lead under Cornelio Velasquez and never looked back, romping to a decisive 5 1/2-length victory Friday in the $400,000 Darley Alcibiades (gr. II) at Keeneland Racecourse.
Tom VanMeter II's Be Gentle, runner up to the undefeated Ashado last time out in the Spinaway Stakes (gr. I), looms large against six rivals in the $400,000 Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) Friday at Keeneland.
The Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) on Keeneland's opening day card Oct. 3 is likely to have a field of seven 2-year-old fillies according to track officials. The 1 1/16-miles, two-turn race has proven to be a valuable prep for the World Thoroughbred Championships.
Saratoga Notebook: Sky Mesa Update; Surgery for Heckle; Plans Uncertain for Hennig Pair; Shine Again May Go Long
Sky Mesa may not miss a day of training while recovering from a bruised hoof, an injury he suffered while finishing last in the Travers (gr. I) on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Leave the Light On Off Derby Trail
- Turfway Increases Purses, Adds Race Per Week
- The Legacy of Gone West
- First Reported Foal for Jimmy Creed
- Early Claiming Activity Robust at Oaklawn
- Honor Code, Top Billing Near 4YO Debuts
- Fair Grounds to Host 'Rosie Day' Feb. 21
- Withers Favorite El Kabeir Breezes at Belmont
- OBS March 2YO Sale Set for March 17-18
- Australia Expects 3.3% Drop in 2015 Foal Crop