Thomas Van Meter II's Be Gentle took the early lead under Cornelio Velasquez and never looked back, romping to a decisive 5 1/2-length victory Friday in the $400,000 Darley Alcibiades (gr. II) at Keeneland Racecourse.
Tom VanMeter II's Be Gentle, runner up to the undefeated Ashado last time out in the Spinaway Stakes (gr. I), looms large against six rivals in the $400,000 Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) Friday at Keeneland.
The Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) on Keeneland's opening day card Oct. 3 is likely to have a field of seven 2-year-old fillies according to track officials. The 1 1/16-miles, two-turn race has proven to be a valuable prep for the World Thoroughbred Championships.
Saratoga Notebook: Sky Mesa Update; Surgery for Heckle; Plans Uncertain for Hennig Pair; Shine Again May Go Long
Sky Mesa may not miss a day of training while recovering from a bruised hoof, an injury he suffered while finishing last in the Travers (gr. I) on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Brisk Activity Bodes Well for OBS Spring Sale
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- OBS Hips to Watch Include Tapwrit's Half Brother