Thomas Van Meter II's Be Gentle took the early lead under Cornelio Velasquez and never looked back, romping to a decisive 5 1/2-length victory Friday in the $400,000 Darley Alcibiades (gr. II) at Keeneland Racecourse.
Tom VanMeter II's Be Gentle, runner up to the undefeated Ashado last time out in the Spinaway Stakes (gr. I), looms large against six rivals in the $400,000 Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) Friday at Keeneland.
The Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) on Keeneland's opening day card Oct. 3 is likely to have a field of seven 2-year-old fillies according to track officials. The 1 1/16-miles, two-turn race has proven to be a valuable prep for the World Thoroughbred Championships.
Saratoga Notebook: Sky Mesa Update; Surgery for Heckle; Plans Uncertain for Hennig Pair; Shine Again May Go Long
Sky Mesa may not miss a day of training while recovering from a bruised hoof, an injury he suffered while finishing last in the Travers (gr. I) on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Hong Kong Champion Able Friend Retired