Thomas Van Meter II's Be Gentle took the early lead under Cornelio Velasquez and never looked back, romping to a decisive 5 1/2-length victory Friday in the $400,000 Darley Alcibiades (gr. II) at Keeneland Racecourse.
Tom VanMeter II's Be Gentle, runner up to the undefeated Ashado last time out in the Spinaway Stakes (gr. I), looms large against six rivals in the $400,000 Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) Friday at Keeneland.
The Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) on Keeneland's opening day card Oct. 3 is likely to have a field of seven 2-year-old fillies according to track officials. The 1 1/16-miles, two-turn race has proven to be a valuable prep for the World Thoroughbred Championships.
Saratoga Notebook: Sky Mesa Update; Surgery for Heckle; Plans Uncertain for Hennig Pair; Shine Again May Go Long
Sky Mesa may not miss a day of training while recovering from a bruised hoof, an injury he suffered while finishing last in the Travers (gr. I) on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Classic Winners Post Works at Saratoga
- As Arrogate's Stature Builds, So Do Expectations
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- John Henry, Phil Marino, and Early Cajun Days
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping
- Sanford Adds Another Chapter to Rich History Saturday
- Litfin: No Going Against Arrogate in San Diego
- CHRB Discusses Cutting Back Racing Dates
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap