Thomas Van Meter II's Be Gentle took the early lead under Cornelio Velasquez and never looked back, romping to a decisive 5 1/2-length victory Friday in the $400,000 Darley Alcibiades (gr. II) at Keeneland Racecourse.
Tom VanMeter II's Be Gentle, runner up to the undefeated Ashado last time out in the Spinaway Stakes (gr. I), looms large against six rivals in the $400,000 Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) Friday at Keeneland.
The Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) on Keeneland's opening day card Oct. 3 is likely to have a field of seven 2-year-old fillies according to track officials. The 1 1/16-miles, two-turn race has proven to be a valuable prep for the World Thoroughbred Championships.
Saratoga Notebook: Sky Mesa Update; Surgery for Heckle; Plans Uncertain for Hennig Pair; Shine Again May Go Long
Sky Mesa may not miss a day of training while recovering from a bruised hoof, an injury he suffered while finishing last in the Travers (gr. I) on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Digs In for Final BC Breeze
- Speed Horses Hold Key to BC Classic
- Ouzts Takes Santa Anita Off 'Bucket List'
- Busy Day of Breeders' Cup Works Oct. 25
- Grand Arch 'Ready to Go' for BC Mile
- Fed Biz in Quick Work for BC Dirt Mile
- BC 2014: Alan Sherman: California Chrome Work
- Rich Tapestry, Big Macher in Sprint Works
- Chrome Facing Retirement With Poor BC Effort
- Breeders' Cup Modifies Convicted Trainer Rule