Four prominent Virginia horse groups have united to form a new organization, the Virginia Equine Alliance, dedicated to growing the state's racing industry.
Virginia racing industry leaders Anne Poulson, Ernie Oare, and Dr. Jens von Lepel resigned from the Virginia Thoroughbred Association board June 28 over the controversial firing of former executive director Glenn Petty.
The Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association will hold a Thoroughbred Pedigree and Conformation Clinic Sunday, March 24 at Palm Meadows Training Center in Boynton Beach, Fla.
Keeneland's juvenile auction, which is scheduled for April 9 in Lexington, will close out a selling season for select 2-year-olds in training that has been generally positive.
Fasig-Tipton's Kentucky fall yearling sale soared at the start, and company officials expected the market to remain upbeat throughout the auction's three-day run in Lexington.
Fasig-Tipton president Boyd Browning calls the Kentucky select auction a "solid" start to the yearling selling season.
She is the most expensive filly sold so far at the July select yearling auction.
Read what buyers and consignors had to say about the May 17 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic juvenile auction. Read Story
The annual November breeding stock sale is a showcase of first-crop weanling sires. Below is a random sampling of comments about the new sires and their weanlings.
Secret Hello, who was Virginia's leading sire in 1999, was euthanized because of complications from a chronic neurological disease.
Legislation that would remove impediments to horse racing in Virginia passed the state Senate Jan. 29. The bill, sponsored by Sen. Kenneth Stolle, was approved by a 27-12 vote. It now goes to General Laws Subcommittee in the House of Delegates.
Most Popular Stories
- Bettys Bambino Wins Daytona in Stakes Debut
- Gentildonna Goes Out On Top in Career Finale
- Main Sequence Arrives in Florida for Winter
- Posse Offspring Take Pair of NY-Bred Stakes
- Cowtown Cat Moves to Ohio's Mapleton for 2015
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream