Albertine, dam of 1993 upset Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) winner Arcangues, died Feb. 3 from the infirmities of old age.
Blocked in traffic mid-stretch, odds-on favorite Loup Breton altered course to the outside and burst home to overtake High Court Drama in the final strides to win the $150,000 San Marcos Stakes (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita.
Artiste Royal, who had only one win in 13 lifetime starts on U.S. soil, broke through with a gutsy effort in the $300,000 Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap (gr. IT) June 7 at Hollywood Park, holding off a trio of horses in the final yards to score by a neck under David Flores.
Six older fillies and mares are matched in Keeneland's Wednesday feature, the 1 1/2-mile, $100,000 Bewitch Stakes (gr. IIIT). The Patrick Biancone-trained Angara won last year's event, spring-boarding off an explosive allowance win to open the meet. The conditioner looks to repeat the tactic with Louve Royale, a driving April 9 allowance winner over the course.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe
- Palace Malice Returns a Winner in GP Handicap
- Ring Weekend Springs Tampa Bay Derby Upset
- Top Billing Off Derby Trail With Fracture
- Indian Charlie Son Drills Fast Furlong at OBS
- Sahara Sky Storms to Second San Carlos Win
- Winning Prize Streaks Home in Kilroe Mile
- Euphrosyne Elevated to Honeybee Victory