Albertine, dam of 1993 upset Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) winner Arcangues, died Feb. 3 from the infirmities of old age.
Blocked in traffic mid-stretch, odds-on favorite Loup Breton altered course to the outside and burst home to overtake High Court Drama in the final strides to win the $150,000 San Marcos Stakes (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita.
Artiste Royal, who had only one win in 13 lifetime starts on U.S. soil, broke through with a gutsy effort in the $300,000 Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap (gr. IT) June 7 at Hollywood Park, holding off a trio of horses in the final yards to score by a neck under David Flores.
Six older fillies and mares are matched in Keeneland's Wednesday feature, the 1 1/2-mile, $100,000 Bewitch Stakes (gr. IIIT). The Patrick Biancone-trained Angara won last year's event, spring-boarding off an explosive allowance win to open the meet. The conditioner looks to repeat the tactic with Louve Royale, a driving April 9 allowance winner over the course.
Most Popular Stories
- Curalina Opens Year with La Troienne Win
- Rocket Heat Fires to Turf Sprint Victory
- Carina Mia Wins Eight Belles at 3-5
- Derby Observations, Strategy, and Wagers
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Routine, Quiet Oaks Morning on Backside
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Derby by the Speed Numbers
- NBC Offers Virtual Kentucky Derby Experience
- Unlocking Winners Kentucky Derby 142 Analysis