David Yount, the assistant general manager at Evangeline Downs, died last week after a year-long battle with cancer.
The Louisiana State Racing Commission, after a Nov. 28 tour of Delta Downs Racetrack & Casino, gave the Vinton facility the go-ahead to reopen for live Thoroughbred racing Jan. 18.
Due to increased revenue earned from both the racing and casino divisions, Evangeline Downs announced a 15% increase in purses effective immediately.
Officials at Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino announced that Sean Beirne, director of simulcasting/public relations and track announcer, has resigned from his position effective Aug. 1.
Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino, the first racino built from scratch, will kick off its first Thoroughbred meet April 7 with record overnight purse distribution and an expanded stakes schedule.
As the Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino prepares for its first Thoroughbred meet at its new facility, the track reported positive numbers for a 20-night Quarter Horse meet that concluded March 27.
Evangeline Downs reported a gain in total handle but expected decreases in on-track business given the fact live racing and its slot-machine operation weren't located at the same site during its 2004 meet that ended Sept. 6.
The final season of racing at 38-year-old Evangeline Downs kicks off the evening of April 1 with a 100% increase in daily average purses and a regular fan appreciation nights.
The All American Fourth of July Festival, expanded to three days this year, generated business gains for Evangeline Downs, track officials said. Veterans of the local racing scene claimed the crowd on July 4 was one of the largest in the 38-year history of the Carencro, La., racetrack.
For the first time in its 39-year history, Evangeline Downs will conduct a 2-year-olds in-training sale on March 16.
Most Popular Stories
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Espinoza Wins First Race After HOF Announcement
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- BloodHorse.com Launches BackTrack Channel
- Quiet Business Wins Bewitch on Keeneland's Closing Day
- Sano Star Gunnevera Goes Easy Five Furlongs
- Blinkers Likely for Practical Joke in Kentucky Derby
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Vexatious Stands Out in Oaks Move
- O'Neill Confident After Irap's Mile Work