Coastal, whose victory in the 1979 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) deprived Spectacular Bid of a Triple Crown sweep, died Sept. 29 at Mick Goss' Summerhill Stud in South Africa.
Waya, an Eclipse Award winner and one of the stars of the late 1970s, died Dec. 12. She was 27 and had been pensioned. Owned by George Strawbridge and Peter Brant, Waya resided at Bettina Jenney's Derry Meeting Farm near Cochranville, Pa., and was euthanized because of complications from laminitis.
Most Popular Stories
- First Reported Foal for Point of Entry
- Take Charge Brandi Set for Martha Washington
- Downey Profile: 10 U.S. Noms to UAE Derby
- First Reported Foal for Rattlesnake Bridge
- Australian Vets Support New Racing Rule on Cobalt
- Invasor to Uruguay's Haras Cuatro Piedras
- Through the Lens: Wise Dan Photo Gets Award
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- 'Chrome' Tops U.S. Nominees for World Cup
- Jockey Chapa Faces Felony Race-Fixing Charges