Coastal, whose victory in the 1979 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) deprived Spectacular Bid of a Triple Crown sweep, died Sept. 29 at Mick Goss' Summerhill Stud in South Africa.
Waya, an Eclipse Award winner and one of the stars of the late 1970s, died Dec. 12. She was 27 and had been pensioned. Owned by George Strawbridge and Peter Brant, Waya resided at Bettina Jenney's Derry Meeting Farm near Cochranville, Pa., and was euthanized because of complications from laminitis.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Lists Start Times, Bet Options
- Mile Draws 19 First-Preference Entries
- Top 3-Year-Olds Abound in BC Classic
- Eight Grade I Winners Entered in F&M Turf
- Main Sequence Battles Euro Standouts in Turf
- Keeneland, Red Mile Partner on Instant Racing
- Goldencents Seeks Second Dirt Mile Victory
- Artemis Agrotera Among 11 in F&M Sprint
- Report of Mares Bred Shows Modest Increase
- Owner-Breeder Nelson Bunker Hunt Dies