The finalists are jockeys Ramon Dominguez, Victor Espinoza, Garrett Gomez, and Craig Perret; Thoroughbreds English Channel, Kona Gold, Rachel Alexandra, and Zenyatta; and trainers Steve Asmussen and David Whiteley.
Hall of Fame ballot will include jockeys Chris Antley, Victor Espinoza, Corey Nakatani, and Craig Perret; Thoroughbreds Black Tie Affair, Kona Gold, Lava Man, and Xtra Heat; and trainers King Leatherbury and David Whiteley.
Coastal, whose victory in the 1979 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) deprived Spectacular Bid of a Triple Crown sweep, died Sept. 29 at Mick Goss' Summerhill Stud in South Africa.
Waya, an Eclipse Award winner and one of the stars of the late 1970s, died Dec. 12. She was 27 and had been pensioned. Owned by George Strawbridge and Peter Brant, Waya resided at Bettina Jenney's Derry Meeting Farm near Cochranville, Pa., and was euthanized because of complications from laminitis.
Most Popular Stories
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Vale Dori Impressive in Bayakoa Victory
- Half Dome Dude Sets Remington Track Record
- King and His Court Claims Display Stakes
- Highway Star Wins Go for Wand by a Nose
- Jon Court Hits 4,000-Win Milestone
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Royal Posse Defends Title in Claiming Crown
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass