Four prominent Virginia horse groups have united to form a new organization, the Virginia Equine Alliance, dedicated to growing the state's racing industry.
In a letter sent to its members this month, the Virginia Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association seeks to strengthen support for its organization, which is in a stalemate with Colonial Downs on race dates.
While acknowledging its decision could jeopardize Thoroughbred racing in the state for this year or even several years, Colonial Downs says it has ceased negotiations with the Virginia HBPA.
A field of 12, plus two also-eligibles, was drawn for the Oct. 8 Woodford Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Keeneland. David Ross' Perfect Officer headlines the prep for the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint (gr. IIT).
Boosted by a 20% increase in import simulcasting handle, Colonial Downs concluded its 40-day meet July 21 with a 13.2% increase in all-source wagering.
Colonial Downs' 40-day summer race meet came to a close the night of July 28, as the leading trainer, owner, jockey, and apprentice rider were all awarded for their successes.
A, Ferris Allen III won two races on Colonial Downs' closing day program Aug. 6 to become the first trainer to win 200 races in Virginia. He also demolished his own single-season record for victories.
Jockey Ryan Fogelsonger collected his 1,000th career win Sunday at Colonial Downs when he guided the maiden Glenwood Ace to victory.
My Lord roared home from far back on the final turn to take a late lead and edge away to win the $94,500 Grey Goose Stakes, a five-furlong turf event on Saturday's Preakness Stakes (gr. ) day program at Pimlico Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Cuddle Alert Gives Sire Bedford Falls First Stakes Win
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa