The $75,000 Alcatraz Stakes has been added to the winter-spring meeting stakes schedule at Golden Gate Fields and the $100,000 Campanile Stakes has been moved from May 31 to June 8, it was announced March 9.
David Jerkens, currently the racing secretary at Golden Gate Fields, will relocate to Southern California in early June and assume the role of racing secretary at Del Mar, it was announced Jan. 30.
Total purses for The Claiming Crown of 2013 are expected to reach $1 million and the program expanded to eight races. The program will likely be run for a second year in a row at Gulfstream Park.
Golden Gate Fields has changed two upcoming stakes, moving the Golden Poppy Stakes from May 5 to May 6 and making the Berkeley Handicap (gr. III) a handicap race.
Sean Greely, racing secretary at Golden Gate Fields, has been laid off from his position along with several other employees in an economic-related cutback, according to Daily Racing Form.
Most Popular Stories
- Mine That Bird Movie Premieres March 19
- One for the Roses: Social Inclusion
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/17/2014
- NY-Bred Stakes Program Adds 2014 Enhancements
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- Charles Town to Make Donation to CANTER
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby