Hall of Fame trainer Allen Jerkens remained in the intensive care unit March 3 at Aventura Hospital in South Florida, fighting a severe infection that set in last week.
Entries for the opening weekend of the Del Mar autumn meet, dubbed the "Bing Crosby Season" by the track, are complete and now a couple of big questions are ready to be answered.
Del Mar Thoroughbred Club will kick off its 75th summer racing season July 17 with a new racing secretary and veteran team of other racing officials for the 36-day meet that runs through Sept. 3.
Patrick Mackey has been named as racing secretary at Golden Gate Fields, beginning in mid-May.
The $75,000 Alcatraz Stakes has been added to the winter-spring meeting stakes schedule at Golden Gate Fields and the $100,000 Campanile Stakes has been moved from May 31 to June 8, it was announced March 9.
David Jerkens, currently the racing secretary at Golden Gate Fields, will relocate to Southern California in early June and assume the role of racing secretary at Del Mar, it was announced Jan. 30.
Total purses for The Claiming Crown of 2013 are expected to reach $1 million and the program expanded to eight races. The program will likely be run for a second year in a row at Gulfstream Park.
Golden Gate Fields has changed two upcoming stakes, moving the Golden Poppy Stakes from May 5 to May 6 and making the Berkeley Handicap (gr. III) a handicap race.
Sean Greely, racing secretary at Golden Gate Fields, has been laid off from his position along with several other employees in an economic-related cutback, according to Daily Racing Form.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Draws Post 5 for Belmont
- American Pharoah Gets First Look at Belmont
- American Pharoah Arrives at Belmont
- Mubtaahij Races For 'Other' Sheikh in Belmont
- Champion Escena Dead at Age 22 in Kentucky
- Tonalist Looks to Continue Met Mile Trend
- Ian Highet New Equibase Company Chairman
- Champion Untapable Formidable in Ogden Phipps
- NBC, NYRA Extend Belmont Stakes Contract
- Acorn Stakes Field Deep and Wide