Hall of Fame trainer Allen Jerkens remained in the intensive care unit March 3 at Aventura Hospital in South Florida, fighting a severe infection that set in last week.
Entries for the opening weekend of the Del Mar autumn meet, dubbed the "Bing Crosby Season" by the track, are complete and now a couple of big questions are ready to be answered.
Del Mar Thoroughbred Club will kick off its 75th summer racing season July 17 with a new racing secretary and veteran team of other racing officials for the 36-day meet that runs through Sept. 3.
Patrick Mackey has been named as racing secretary at Golden Gate Fields, beginning in mid-May.
The $75,000 Alcatraz Stakes has been added to the winter-spring meeting stakes schedule at Golden Gate Fields and the $100,000 Campanile Stakes has been moved from May 31 to June 8, it was announced March 9.
David Jerkens, currently the racing secretary at Golden Gate Fields, will relocate to Southern California in early June and assume the role of racing secretary at Del Mar, it was announced Jan. 30.
- By Eric Mitchell
- Thoroughbred Racing, Northeast Region, Southeast Region, Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association
Total purses for The Claiming Crown of 2013 are expected to reach $1 million and the program expanded to eight races. The program will likely be run for a second year in a row at Gulfstream Park.
Golden Gate Fields has changed two upcoming stakes, moving the Golden Poppy Stakes from May 5 to May 6 and making the Berkeley Handicap (gr. III) a handicap race.
Sean Greely, racing secretary at Golden Gate Fields, has been laid off from his position along with several other employees in an economic-related cutback, according to Daily Racing Form.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala