Shrinking foal crop, the loss of David Greathouse, leave voids in industry. read blog
Princess Janie, a stakes-winning Elusive Quality mare who is in foal to Tiznow, brought $330,000 early in the afternoon of the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale's second session in Lexington.
Participants in the Keeneland November breeding stock sale were generally optimistic heading into the auction's 15-day run that begins Monday.
By Dan Liebman - David Greathouse can't remember who it was that first told him Battle Creek Girl was for sale. It was the winter of 1980 and Greathouse and his brother, John Jr., were looking to purchase some fillies off the racetrack to breed to stallions at their family's Glencrest Farm near Midway, Ky.
Battle Creek Girl, whose six stakes winners include Canadian champion Wavering Girl, died Aug. 25 at age 27 at William S. Farish's Lane's End Farm from complications from the infirmities of old age.
Christmas Bonus, a stakes winner and dam of five stakes winners, was euthanized Aug. 18 at age 26 because of complications from the infirmities of old age.
Glencrest Farm stallion Wavering Monarch, a multiple grade I winner whose champion son Maria's Mon sired 2001 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Monarchos, died June 17 because of the infirmities of old age.
Successful stallion Clever Trick, who sired 67 stakes winners, died June 5 at Glencrest Farm near Midway, Ky., where he had stood his entire stallion career.
The Greathouse family's Glencrest Farm has purchased an interest in grade I winner Booklet from owner John C. Oxley for stallion duty at the Midway, Ky., farm.
Four veteran Kentucky horsemen have formed a new company that will consign horses to major Thoroughbred auctions.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Canadian Horse Racing Plans Anniversary 250 Celebration
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- CHRB Approves Medication-Based Conditions
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal