David Garvin, a Thoroughbred breeder and founder of the retail chain Camping World, died Aug. 30 in an accidental fall at his home on Ironwood Farm near Bowling Green, Ky. He was 71.
Rockamundo, who won the 1993 Arkansas Derby (gr. II) at 108-1 for owners Gary and Mary West, died Jan. 18 at age 23 because of complications from colic.
Odds-on Alec's Moon made easy work of the $82,700 Portland Meadows Oaks after steadying early, cruising to a 6 1/2-length victory with leading jockey Joe Crispin aboard for trainer Jerry Hollendorfer Jan. 29 in Oregon.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Forges Way to Zayat's Heart
- A Look at 2015 Homebred Derby Hopefuls
- Dortmund to Track, Other Derby Horses Arrive
- American Pharoah Tops NTRA Poll
- California Chrome Adjusting to Newmarket
- Nader Leaving Hong Kong, Will Return to U.S.
- Baffert May Not Enter Filly in Kentucky Oaks
- Ranking the Kentucky Derby Workouts
- Alto Aims High With Materiality
- Weir, Lipinski on NBC Social Media for Derby