As a virus runs through Aidan O'Brien's yard, he still manages to win the Phoenix Stakes for the fifth straight year.
Special Ring changed tactics and broke a Del Mar track record in winning the $75,000 Wickerr Handicap at one mile on the turf Friday evening.
Mike Pegram's Icecoldbeeratreds broke alertly and was never headed in winning the $125,000 Graduation Stakes for 2-year-old California breds Wednesday in stakes-record time at Del Mar.
Congaree, a 4-year-old son of Arazi owned by Stonerside Stable, will be trying to snap a three-year stranglehold by trainer Robert Frankel on the San Diego Handicap at Del Mar on Sunday. At the same time he could give his trainer, Bob Baffert, his first victory in the event.
Jockey David Flores, who had been booked to ride Godolphin's Tempera in the Kentucky Oaks, will be riding for the powerful stable at Royal Ascot in June.
Trainer Aidan O'Brien continues his winning ways, scoring two more group I victories.
American jockey David Flores rode Godolphin Racing's Festival of Light to victory in the Godolphin Mile and American runner Caller One ran off with the Golden Shaheen (UAE-III) as part of Saturday's Dubai World Cup undercard. Flores, who later won the UAE Derby with Express Tour, said Festival of Light bobbled slightly at the start before recovering to take the lead in the stretch.
Over firm turf, Purely Cozzene led at every call of the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIIT) Saturday at Del Mar, completing the 1 1/16-mile race in 1:41.50 under David Flores.
Most Popular Stories
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- NYRA Unveils 10-Race Claiming Series
- New York Sanctions Mott for Drug Overages
- Washington Owner/Breeder Paxton Dead at 76
- OBS Expects Solid Start for Auction Season
- Untapable, Tapiture Drill for Asmussen
- Five Tie for Fastest 3 Furlongs at OBS Show
- NY Investigation of Asmussen Case Completed
- Main Sequence Works at Palm Meadows
- 'Chrome' Set for San Antonio, Bayern Doubtful