Recovered from ulcers, Mensa Heat was on top of his game once again as he defeated a solid group of California-bred sprinters in the $84,500 On Trust Handicap, the closing day feature at Hollywood Park Dec. 18.
Jockey Patrick Valenzuela drove Burns through an opening at the rail past mid-stretch to capture the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT), giving trainer Barry Abrams a special moment at Del Mar Aug. 13.
Southern California trainer Barry Abrams came out of surgery for throat cancer in excellent condition, his brother David Abrams reported July 6.
Unusual Suspect snapped his 16-race losing streak when he overcame pacesetter Temple City in the final strides to win the $250,000 Hollywood Turf Cup (gr. IT) Nov. 13 at Hollywood Park.
California grade II winner Pretty Unusual died because of complications from emergency surgery Sept. 19.
Jockey Chantal Sutherland earned her second grade II victory in as many days when she guided 29-1 outsider Pretty Unusual to win the El Encino Stakes at Santa Anita Jan. 17. Favored Stardom Bound was second.
Unusual Suspect, guided by Chantal Sutherland, overtook the leaders in upper stretch en route to a one-length win in the $73,500 Silveyville Stakes on opening day of the 118-day Golden Gate Fields winter/spring meet Dec. 26.
Favored Golden Doc A proved her big effort against 2007 Juvenile Filly champion Indian Blessing last time out was no fluke, coming from off the pace to become a grade I winner in the $250,000 Las Virgenes at Santa Anita.
Seven 3-year-old fillies, including a pair of Breeders' Cup starters, will contest the Feb. 9 event at Santa Anita.
Outsider Unusual Suspect found a gaping hole mid-stretch and exploited it for his first graded stakes win in the $150,000 Hollywood Turf Express Handicap (gr. IIIT) Nov. 24.
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out