Jockey Gerard Melancon recorded the 3,000th victory of his career in the ninth race, a $31,000 entry level allowance race for Louisiana breds, Thursday evening at Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino.
Officials at Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino announced today Jason Boulet has been hired as racing secretary for the 2005 racing season. Boulet, currently working as a racing official at Fair Grounds in New Orleans, will assume his duties immediately. A Lafayette, La., native, Boulet has held numerous positions on both the backside and the frontside during his 14-year career.
Evangeline Downs in Carencro, La., concluded its 2003 meet with a nominal decrease in total wagering and a slight increase in attendance. The recently concluded meet was the last at the track before it has the opportunity to supplement purses with income from slot machine gaming. The new Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino is expected to open in St. Landry Parish in March 2004.
Most Popular Stories
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- Untapable, Tapiture Drill for Asmussen
- Five Tie for Fastest 3 Furlongs at OBS Show
- Main Sequence Works at Palm Meadows
- NY Investigation of Asmussen Case Completed
- NZ Premier Sale Off to Solid Start at Karaka
- NYRA Unveils 10-Race Claiming Series
- New York Sanctions Mott for Drug Overages
- 'Chrome' Set for San Antonio, Bayern Doubtful
- Racing Investigators to Meet in NJ in March