Jockey Gerard Melancon recorded the 3,000th victory of his career in the ninth race, a $31,000 entry level allowance race for Louisiana breds, Thursday evening at Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino.
Officials at Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino announced today Jason Boulet has been hired as racing secretary for the 2005 racing season. Boulet, currently working as a racing official at Fair Grounds in New Orleans, will assume his duties immediately. A Lafayette, La., native, Boulet has held numerous positions on both the backside and the frontside during his 14-year career.
- By Ron Mitchell
Evangeline Downs in Carencro, La., concluded its 2003 meet with a nominal decrease in total wagering and a slight increase in attendance. The recently concluded meet was the last at the track before it has the opportunity to supplement purses with income from slot machine gaming. The new Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino is expected to open in St. Landry Parish in March 2004.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Tepin Will Bypass Fourstardave
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Sunday Silence Dominates Broodmare Sires
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Ortiz Lands 1,000th Win in John Morrisey
- A Longshot in the Vanderbilt Handicap
- Lady Eli Pointed to Aug. 27 Ballston Spa
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Birdatthewire Targets Molly Pitcher Stakes
- Mountaineer's Leading Trainer Suspended