A change in tactics helped Fire With Fire post a 7-1 upset in the $200,000 Charles Whittingham Handicap (gr. IIT) May 24 on the grass at Santa Anita Park, giving trainer Neil Drysdale a record-tying seventh win in the race.
Fire With Fire, rated well on the lead by Tyler Baze, outfought stablemate Lucayan in deep stretch to register his first graded stakes win for trainer Neil Drysdale in the $200,000 San Luis Rey Stakes (gr. IIT)
David Heerensperger's Bourbon Bay will not run in the Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) at Santa Anita Park Nov. 3, Breeders' Cup oficials said Oct. 28.
A son of Cahill Road brought the highest price of $60,000 during the Washington Thoroughbred Breeders Association (WTBA) summer yearling sale Sept. 8 at the Morris J. Alhadeff Sale Pavilion at Emerald Downs. Jill and Dave Heerensperger purchased the bay colt, which is a full brother to The Great Face, winner of the 2007 Longacres Mile (gr. III) and Mt. Rainier Handicaps at Emerald Downs.
Stakes winner Flying With Eagles sired his first winner, Sept. 7, when Skyrider won at 5 1/2 furlongs in 1:04.20 at Emerald Downs as a homebred for David and Jill Heerensperger.
Grade I winner Millennium Wind, a half-brother to Horse of the Year Charismatic, arrived Sept. 18 for stallion duty at Ro Parra and William Hardin's Millennium Farms Kentucky near Lexington.
Most Popular Stories
- Stakes Winners Featured in Del Mar Paddock Sale
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- 139 Cataloged for Texas Yearling and Mixed Sale
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Historical Gains in Kentucky
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale