Dave's Friend was one of the best sprinters in the nation and Kauai King developed into a two-time classic winner, still holding the distinction of being the only Maryland-bred to win the Kentucky Derby.
Back against state-breds after finishing unplaced in graded company in New York, Ravenheart proved best in knuckling down late for a narrow win in the $100,000 Maryland Juvenile Futurity Dec. 26 at Laurel Park.
Dave's Friend, a multiple champion in Maryland, died June 14 at the late John Franks' farm near Shreveport, La. He was 31.
The Maryland Jockey Club cancelled Saturday's $75,000 Dave's Friend because 12 trainers who nominated their horses declined to enter and race against Pimlico-based Disco Rico, one of the top sprinters in the country.
Most Popular Stories
- Phipps, Gaines, Winn Named 2017 Pillars of the Turf
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Laurel Stakes Schedule Features $1.6 Million in Purses
- Curlin Colt Sets Midlantic Record at $1.5 Million
- Agent O'Neill Bullish on Stallion Orb
- Phipps Family to Receive Inaugural Dinny Phipps Award
- McCraken Back on Work Tab After Derby Disappointment
- Thunder Snow, Churchill Face Off in Irish 2,000 Guineas
- What's Going On Here: The Pay Off