Dave's Friend was one of the best sprinters in the nation and Kauai King developed into a two-time classic winner, still holding the distinction of being the only Maryland-bred to win the Kentucky Derby.
Back against state-breds after finishing unplaced in graded company in New York, Ravenheart proved best in knuckling down late for a narrow win in the $100,000 Maryland Juvenile Futurity Dec. 26 at Laurel Park.
Dave's Friend, a multiple champion in Maryland, died June 14 at the late John Franks' farm near Shreveport, La. He was 31.
The Maryland Jockey Club cancelled Saturday's $75,000 Dave's Friend because 12 trainers who nominated their horses declined to enter and race against Pimlico-based Disco Rico, one of the top sprinters in the country.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Dortmund Back to Dirt in Next Start
- Undefeated Ghalia Takes Sunland Park Oaks
- Girvin Heads Louisiana Derby Field
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Farrell Poised for Next Test in Fair Grounds Oaks