Churchill officials will outline their ideas for the wager at the Dec. 2 Kentucky Horse Racing Commission meeting in Lexington. If approved in time, the wager could be offered in advance of the 2015 Derby.
With only three horses from the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) contesting the Preakness Stakes (gr. 1) May 17, Maryland Jockey Club president Tom Chuckas said he will initiate discussions to change the spacing between races.
Churchill Downs' The Mansion opens a whole new dimension of luxury for the track's most elite guests.
Churchill Downs remains bullish on its new points qualifying system for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) but acknowledges there could be "tweaks" for the next Triple Crown cycle.
In the event of inclement weather for the May 1 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), Churchill Downs personnel, as well as safety officials from the Louisville, Ky., area, are prepared to take precautions.
Churchill officials say they will turn on lights if the the predicted heavy rain May 1 causes poor visibility.
In spite of the distractions caused by a gruesome racetrack collision and a wailing siren that Churchill Downs uses to warn horsemen that there is trouble on the racetrack, Chocolate Candy turned in a professional and fast work April 27.
Darren Rogers, director of communications at Lone Star Park since 1999, will join Churchill Downs racetrack on March 3 as senior director of communications and media services.
On the heels of a record wagering day, Lone Star Park was set to host its first Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships with an improved weather forecast and a flurry of activity the morning of the event at the Texas racetrack.
Most Popular Stories
- Ben's Cat Maryland-Bred HOY for Fourth Year
- Suffolk Downs, Horsemen Have Deal for Meets
- Caesars' Moves Impact Turfway, ThistleDown
- American Pharoah Shows Readiness for Rebel
- TJC Acquires Majority Interest in Blood-Horse
- California Chrome Working Steadily for Dubai
- Nerud 3-Year-Old Wins Again at Big A
- Kentucky Oaks Attracts 154 Nominees
- Charles Town, Oaklawn, Laurel Cancel Cards
- Insights on Jockey Club's Purchase of B-H