Irish-bred Chinchon, making just his second start in the U.S., showed an explosive turn of foot in the stretch and came from off the pace to capture the $760,000 United Nations Stakes (gr. IT) July 3 at Monmouth Park.
Laying just off the pace for three-quarters, 5-year-old Istan exploded at the top of the stretch and pulled away to win by 8 resounding lengths in the $200,000 Ack Ack Handicap (gr. III) at Churchill Downs Nov. 3.
Odds-on choice Istan, a one-mile specialist from trainer Bill Mott's huge stable, was the easiest of winners in the $100,000 Turfway Park Fall Championship (gr. III) over the Polytrack Sept. 8.
Briviesca shook loose of her rivals in upper stretch and went on to a 1 1/4-length win in the $150,000 Rood and Riddle Dowager Stakes for fillies and mares Sunday at Keeneland.
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Diva Express, I'm a Looker Dead Heat at CD
- Enola Gray Passes Two-Turn Test in Melair
- First U.S. Winner for Algorithms
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Exaggerator Carries Delta Jackpot Flag
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever