Jackie Thompson, who shod five Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winners, died Sept. 4 in Lexington after a lengthy illness.
Dark Star's victory in the 1953 Kentucky Derby is the greatest upset of all in the classic, according to readers of bloodhorse.com.
Henry Moreno, who rode 24-1 Dark Star to an upset win over Native Dancer in the 1953 Kentucky Derby, died Feb. 1 in Florence, Ore.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah to Continue Racing
- Florida Sire Stakes Series Continues Sept. 5
- Curlin to Hill 'n' Dale in 2016
- Rachel's Valentina, Tonasah Head Spinaway
- USADA Contributes to Steroid Crackdown
- Del Mar Debutante Field Talented and Diverse
- Spendthrift Out Front with Top Sires' Fees
- Back to Business for Liam's Map in Woodward
- Goldy Espony on Streak Entering Glens Falls
- No Stability with Texas Commission Funding