The first reported foal by Algorithms arrived the morning of Jan. 29 at Bruce and Connie Brown's Fairview Farm in Versailles, Ky.
An inside trip and a good kick at the head of the lane made all the difference for 2-year-old filly Mystic Love, who beat the boys at odds of 16-1 Dec. 15 in the $100,000 Dania Beach Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Gulfstream Park.
Surging Poseidon's Warrior produced a 36-1 upset in the $400,000 Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap (gr. I) when heavy favorite Shackleford failed to handle a muddy track at Saratoga Race Course Aug. 5.
James A. Riccio's New York shipper King and Crusader made a winning trip to Laurel Park when he scored a 16-1 upset in the $75,000 Maryland Juvenile Championship Dec. 17.
Homeboykris is on his way to the Kentucky Derby, while Backtalk's status is up in the air for the May 1 classic
David Hayden has a message for his fellow commercial breeders: "Change or die." The ability to be flexible during hard times, he said last week at the Keeneland September yearling sale in Lexington, is the key to survival. And Hayden, who plans to keep raising horses for many years to come, has looked at everything from production costs to where he will market his yearlings in an effort to remain profitable and avoid drowning in a sea of red ink.
Good food, lively conversation, and quality mares at reasonable prices punctuated the seventh annual Adena Springs Broodmare Auction held Nov. 6 at Fasig-Tipton Kentucky's Newtown Paddocks near Lexington.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe
- Palace Malice Returns a Winner in GP Handicap
- Ring Weekend Springs Tampa Bay Derby Upset
- Top Billing Off Derby Trail With Fracture
- Sahara Sky Storms to Second San Carlos Win
- Indian Charlie Son Drills Fast Furlong at OBS
- Winning Prize Streaks Home in Kilroe Mile