The racing community in and around Churchill Downs received a jolt on Preakness morning with word of the death of trainer and owner Danny Hutt on Friday evening. Hutt, 51, died suddenly while eating with friends at a Louisville restaurant.
Red Masque upset 2-5 favorite Royal Gem to win Wednesday's Forerunner Stakes at Keeneland. The $111,000 race was the first added-money victory for the 3-year-old son of Red Ransom.
Sunday's $200,000 Tampa Bay Derby drew a competitive field of 10, with Sam F. Davis winner Bunk N Ted taking on Hutcheson winner Showmeitall, Tropical Park Derby winner Political Attack, Sam Davis runner-up Tails of the Crypt, as well as several up-and-comers on the 3-year-old scene.
BUNK N TED
Most Popular Stories
- Dance With Fate Off the Bench for San Diego
- Tonalist, Wicked Strong Headline Jim Dandy
- Record Breakers Headed for Del Mar Debutante
- Queen's Horse Tests Positive for Morphine
- Can Coup de Grace Land Blow in Amsterdam?
- Daring Dancer Prevails in Lake George Stakes
- Art Sherman to Receive Laffit Pincay Award
- Shanon Nicole Takes Off-Turf Indiana Grand
- Haskin: The Saint of Saratoga
- Eight Stakes Set for Churchill in September