The racing community in and around Churchill Downs received a jolt on Preakness morning with word of the death of trainer and owner Danny Hutt on Friday evening. Hutt, 51, died suddenly while eating with friends at a Louisville restaurant.
Red Masque upset 2-5 favorite Royal Gem to win Wednesday's Forerunner Stakes at Keeneland. The $111,000 race was the first added-money victory for the 3-year-old son of Red Ransom.
Sunday's $200,000 Tampa Bay Derby drew a competitive field of 10, with Sam F. Davis winner Bunk N Ted taking on Hutcheson winner Showmeitall, Tropical Park Derby winner Political Attack, Sam Davis runner-up Tails of the Crypt, as well as several up-and-comers on the 3-year-old scene.
BUNK N TED
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes