The racing community in and around Churchill Downs received a jolt on Preakness morning with word of the death of trainer and owner Danny Hutt on Friday evening. Hutt, 51, died suddenly while eating with friends at a Louisville restaurant.
Red Masque upset 2-5 favorite Royal Gem to win Wednesday's Forerunner Stakes at Keeneland. The $111,000 race was the first added-money victory for the 3-year-old son of Red Ransom.
Sunday's $200,000 Tampa Bay Derby drew a competitive field of 10, with Sam F. Davis winner Bunk N Ted taking on Hutcheson winner Showmeitall, Tropical Park Derby winner Political Attack, Sam Davis runner-up Tails of the Crypt, as well as several up-and-comers on the 3-year-old scene.
BUNK N TED
Most Popular Stories
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Del Mar Once Again Shifting Races Off Turf
- Darley's Hard Spun to Return From Japan
- Millionaire Halo Dolly Retired from Racing
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks
- Best Pal is Next Chapter for Story to Tell