The racing community in and around Churchill Downs received a jolt on Preakness morning with word of the death of trainer and owner Danny Hutt on Friday evening. Hutt, 51, died suddenly while eating with friends at a Louisville restaurant.
Red Masque upset 2-5 favorite Royal Gem to win Wednesday's Forerunner Stakes at Keeneland. The $111,000 race was the first added-money victory for the 3-year-old son of Red Ransom.
Sunday's $200,000 Tampa Bay Derby drew a competitive field of 10, with Sam F. Davis winner Bunk N Ted taking on Hutcheson winner Showmeitall, Tropical Park Derby winner Political Attack, Sam Davis runner-up Tails of the Crypt, as well as several up-and-comers on the 3-year-old scene.
BUNK N TED
Most Popular Stories
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Abel Tasman Brings Form to Coaching Club American Oaks
- Del Mar Addressing Safety, Field Size Concerns
- Solis to Evaluate Future Following Surgery
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap
- Remembering Ben's Cat
- Secretariat Photo Album
- Richard's Kid Gets First Winner at Del Mar
- TVG Plans Special Coverage, Events at Saratoga
- Ashleyluvssugar Highlights Eddie Read Stakes