Apprentice jockey Maynor Lopez will be out of action for at least several months after surgery to repair a collarbone broken in two places and a fractured vertebra. The injuries were sustained in a fall at Calder Race Course on June 15.
Veteran jockey Mike Morgan was hospitalized overnight for treatment of injuries suffered in a chain reaction spill that involved four horses during Sunday's final race at Churchill Downs.
A chain reaction spill that involved four horses during Sunday's final race at Churchill Downs sent three jockeys to Louisville hospitals for treatment and evaluation.
Jockey John McKee took off his mounts on Thursday because of lingering soreness in his back and neck following a riding accident in the starting gate on Wednesday.
Roxelana, with Larry Melancon up, took the early lead and turned back a prolonged challenge by Freefourracing for a length victory in Friday's featured $58,200 allowance race for fillies and mares at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Ashleyluvssugar, Texas Ryano Reunite in San Luis Rey
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage