Apprentice jockey Maynor Lopez will be out of action for at least several months after surgery to repair a collarbone broken in two places and a fractured vertebra. The injuries were sustained in a fall at Calder Race Course on June 15.
Veteran jockey Mike Morgan was hospitalized overnight for treatment of injuries suffered in a chain reaction spill that involved four horses during Sunday's final race at Churchill Downs.
A chain reaction spill that involved four horses during Sunday's final race at Churchill Downs sent three jockeys to Louisville hospitals for treatment and evaluation.
Jockey John McKee took off his mounts on Thursday because of lingering soreness in his back and neck following a riding accident in the starting gate on Wednesday.
Roxelana, with Larry Melancon up, took the early lead and turned back a prolonged challenge by Freefourracing for a length victory in Friday's featured $58,200 allowance race for fillies and mares at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Tepin Back to Brilliant in Saratoga Work
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- 'Cleopatra' in Gate Drill for Debutante
- Flatter Colt Tops OBS Select Yearling Session
- 'Chrome,' Beholder Weighing Options after PC
- Southern CA Tracks, TOC Have Dates Agreement
- Gran Villano is 75th Scat Daddy Stakes Winner
- Six Stakes Fill NY Showcase Day
- Songbird a Perfect 10 After Easy Alabama Win