Apprentice jockey Maynor Lopez will be out of action for at least several months after surgery to repair a collarbone broken in two places and a fractured vertebra. The injuries were sustained in a fall at Calder Race Course on June 15.
Veteran jockey Mike Morgan was hospitalized overnight for treatment of injuries suffered in a chain reaction spill that involved four horses during Sunday's final race at Churchill Downs.
A chain reaction spill that involved four horses during Sunday's final race at Churchill Downs sent three jockeys to Louisville hospitals for treatment and evaluation.
Jockey John McKee took off his mounts on Thursday because of lingering soreness in his back and neck following a riding accident in the starting gate on Wednesday.
Roxelana, with Larry Melancon up, took the early lead and turned back a prolonged challenge by Freefourracing for a length victory in Friday's featured $58,200 allowance race for fillies and mares at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Adena Springs' Roberts Returns to Training
- The Dirt On Synthetics Timeline
- Jerkens Aims for 'Wicked Strong' Saratoga
- Thoroughbred Club to Honor Veterinarians
- What's Going On Here: Keeping the Promise
- Encouraging Starts to Saratoga, Del Mar Meets
- The Week in Photos for 7/22/2014
- Commanding Curve Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Better Lucky Shines; My Miss Aurelia Third
- Filly Untapable Works Toward Haskell