Archwarrior, a 5-year-old son of Arch who stands at Hartley/De Renzo Thoroughbreds near Ocala, Fla., was represented by his first foal -- a colt -- born Jan. 28.
Always tough to beat when staked to a lead, Janis R. Whitham's homebred Mea Domina made her advantage stand up when she held off the late charge of Three Degrees to win the Palomar Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) for fillies and mares on the Del Mar turf Saturday.
The grade I winner Mea Domina was being aimed at the Hollywood Park Autumn Turf Festival, but that track's problems with its course forced trainer Ron McAnally to call an audible. In one of the last chances for grass racing in Southern California until the end of the year, Mea Domina went gate-to-wire under Tyler Baze Saturday to win the Las Palmas Handicap (gr. IIT) at the Oak Tree meeting at Santa Anita.
Owner/breeder Janis R. Whitham and Hall of Fame trainer Ron McAnally doubled their pleasure Monday when their Mea Domina held on to beat entry mate Solar Echo in the $441,500 Gamely Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT) on the Hollywood Park turf.
John Sikura's Hill 'n' Dale Farm, which earlier released a $50,000 fee for incoming stallion Vindication, will keep major stallion Theatrical at $75,000.
Dance Brightly's initial winner, Mr. Whitestone, won a six-furlong race Aug. 4 at Ellis Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Trainer Baird Reaches Win 2,000
- Malibu Moon, Tapit Colts Could Shine at F-T
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Cinco Charlie to Spendthrift Farm
- Curlin Colt Sells for $350,000 at F-T October
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Tapit Colt Late Withdrawal from F-T Sale
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill