Archwarrior, a 5-year-old son of Arch who stands at Hartley/De Renzo Thoroughbreds near Ocala, Fla., was represented by his first foal -- a colt -- born Jan. 28.
Always tough to beat when staked to a lead, Janis R. Whitham's homebred Mea Domina made her advantage stand up when she held off the late charge of Three Degrees to win the Palomar Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) for fillies and mares on the Del Mar turf Saturday.
The grade I winner Mea Domina was being aimed at the Hollywood Park Autumn Turf Festival, but that track's problems with its course forced trainer Ron McAnally to call an audible. In one of the last chances for grass racing in Southern California until the end of the year, Mea Domina went gate-to-wire under Tyler Baze Saturday to win the Las Palmas Handicap (gr. IIT) at the Oak Tree meeting at Santa Anita.
Owner/breeder Janis R. Whitham and Hall of Fame trainer Ron McAnally doubled their pleasure Monday when their Mea Domina held on to beat entry mate Solar Echo in the $441,500 Gamely Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT) on the Hollywood Park turf.
John Sikura's Hill 'n' Dale Farm, which earlier released a $50,000 fee for incoming stallion Vindication, will keep major stallion Theatrical at $75,000.
Dance Brightly's initial winner, Mr. Whitestone, won a six-furlong race Aug. 4 at Ellis Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Firenze Fire Upsets Sanford Stakes
- As Arrogate's Stature Builds, So Do Expectations
- Twisted Tom Muscles His Way to New York Derby Score
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing, Tapwrit Work at Spa
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Hunt Overcomes Trouble to Win Eddie Read
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping