An Irish-bred mare in foal to Johannesburg topped the opening session of the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky winter mixed sale Feb. 13 at the sales company's Newtown Paddocks near Lexington, Ky. Robert Lail went to $160,000 to acquire grade III winner Dancal from the consignment of Four Star Sales, agent.
Todd Pletcher, the second-leading trainer in the nation with $11.5 million in purse earnings, seeks further riches in the two biggest races of the Hollywood Park Turf Festival next weekend.
Marlon Aronstam's Dancal took control going into the first turn and never looked back, capturing the $150,000 Violet Handicap (gr. IIIT) at the Meadowlands on Friday night by two lengths.
John and Joan Phillips' Wonder Again won for the first time in 2003 and ended a five-race losing streak, taking Saturday's $150,000 Noble Damsel Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Wise Dan Back at the Track
- New Social Media Rule for Australian Racing
- Daredevil Back to Work After Swale Washout
- The Great War No Longer Pursuing Derby
- Field Favored at Close of Derby Wager Pool 3
- Far From Over Interest Sold, Wood Next
- Rebel Still Possibilty for Take Charge Brandi
- Dortmund, Lord Nelson Set for San Felipe
- The Big Beast Sharp in Winning Return
- Cavalryman Dies After Injury at Meydan