An Irish-bred mare in foal to Johannesburg topped the opening session of the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky winter mixed sale Feb. 13 at the sales company's Newtown Paddocks near Lexington, Ky. Robert Lail went to $160,000 to acquire grade III winner Dancal from the consignment of Four Star Sales, agent.
Todd Pletcher, the second-leading trainer in the nation with $11.5 million in purse earnings, seeks further riches in the two biggest races of the Hollywood Park Turf Festival next weekend.
Marlon Aronstam's Dancal took control going into the first turn and never looked back, capturing the $150,000 Violet Handicap (gr. IIIT) at the Meadowlands on Friday night by two lengths.
John and Joan Phillips' Wonder Again won for the first time in 2003 and ended a five-race losing streak, taking Saturday's $150,000 Noble Damsel Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Ness Aiming for Ninth Straight Tampa Title
- Spanish Queen Unmatched in Honeymoon Victory
- Baffert: Derby Win 'Was a Big Sigh of Relief'
- Derby Overnight Rating Highest Since 1992
- Medaglia d'Oro Weanling Tops Inglis Sale
- International Star Scratched from the Derby
- Kentucky Derby Wrap
- 2015 Kentucky Derby Race Sequence