An Irish-bred mare in foal to Johannesburg topped the opening session of the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky winter mixed sale Feb. 13 at the sales company's Newtown Paddocks near Lexington, Ky. Robert Lail went to $160,000 to acquire grade III winner Dancal from the consignment of Four Star Sales, agent.
Todd Pletcher, the second-leading trainer in the nation with $11.5 million in purse earnings, seeks further riches in the two biggest races of the Hollywood Park Turf Festival next weekend.
Marlon Aronstam's Dancal took control going into the first turn and never looked back, capturing the $150,000 Violet Handicap (gr. IIIT) at the Meadowlands on Friday night by two lengths.
John and Joan Phillips' Wonder Again won for the first time in 2003 and ended a five-race losing streak, taking Saturday's $150,000 Noble Damsel Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity
- Leading Laurel Rider McCarthy Breaks Wrist
- Asmussen, Albarado Team for Four-Win Day
- Favored Act of War Captures Cape Guineas
- CHRB Eyes Scratching of Unreported Geldings
- California Chrome Drills at Los Alamitos
- Bayern Turns in Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Old Friends to Receive Special Eclipse Award
- Travis Stone Named Churchill Downs Announcer