An Irish-bred mare in foal to Johannesburg topped the opening session of the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky winter mixed sale Feb. 13 at the sales company's Newtown Paddocks near Lexington, Ky. Robert Lail went to $160,000 to acquire grade III winner Dancal from the consignment of Four Star Sales, agent.
Todd Pletcher, the second-leading trainer in the nation with $11.5 million in purse earnings, seeks further riches in the two biggest races of the Hollywood Park Turf Festival next weekend.
Marlon Aronstam's Dancal took control going into the first turn and never looked back, capturing the $150,000 Violet Handicap (gr. IIIT) at the Meadowlands on Friday night by two lengths.
John and Joan Phillips' Wonder Again won for the first time in 2003 and ended a five-race losing streak, taking Saturday's $150,000 Noble Damsel Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Exaggerator Carries Delta Jackpot Flag
- Mike Venezia Memorial Award to Go to Pino
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Flipcup Resolute in Arlington Matron Win
- Rabada Strikes for Second Group I Win in SAf
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Exaggerator Gallops at Pimlico Race Course