An Irish-bred mare in foal to Johannesburg topped the opening session of the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky winter mixed sale Feb. 13 at the sales company's Newtown Paddocks near Lexington, Ky. Robert Lail went to $160,000 to acquire grade III winner Dancal from the consignment of Four Star Sales, agent.
Todd Pletcher, the second-leading trainer in the nation with $11.5 million in purse earnings, seeks further riches in the two biggest races of the Hollywood Park Turf Festival next weekend.
Marlon Aronstam's Dancal took control going into the first turn and never looked back, capturing the $150,000 Violet Handicap (gr. IIIT) at the Meadowlands on Friday night by two lengths.
John and Joan Phillips' Wonder Again won for the first time in 2003 and ended a five-race losing streak, taking Saturday's $150,000 Noble Damsel Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Shadwell Sire Bahri Pensioned in England
- Team Texas Red Partners With TV Star
- Large Crowd Watches American Pharoah Gallop
- More Than Just a Name for Run for Retts
- Champion Divine Fortune Dies After Fall
- MJC: Laurel Meet Offered Building Blocks
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- Smart Strike Stallion Sons
- Swagger Jack Moves to Dana Point
- Belmont Winner Palace Malice Retired