Agreement is expected for Gulfstream Park to take over part of Calder's operations and assume a large number of Calder's race dates starting in July 2013.
Greyhound tracks in Florida are preparing for business as usual after the Florida legislature did not pass a controversial bill that would have allowed them to stop live racing.
The Florida House and Senate by wide margins have passed similar bills that would allow Greyhound tracks to stop racing or choose to significantly reduce racing schedules beginning July 1, 2011.
The Florida legislature began its annual session March 8, with a bill that would authorize up to five Las Vegas-style casino hotels topping its list of issues that would impact the state's Thoroughbred industry.
Gulfstream Park could have some important political support in its goal to change a state law that prohibits Thoroughbred racing after 7 p.m. if there are benefits for other pari-mutuel sports.
Dan Adkins, a Michigan racetrack official who has for the last 18 months been working on a petition that would allow eight casinos in the state, is moving forward with the measure -- with or without the support of horsemen.
After several meetings, two Michigan horsemen's groups have remained unsuccessful in convincing Dan Adkins of Hazel Park to amend the language of a petition concerning the approval of eight new casinos in the state.
Another showdown is brewing over whether Michigan racetracks should be allowed to open casinos in an effort to revive their struggling businesses. A group called Racing to Save Michigan wants voters to decide the issue in November 2010, and on Oct. 14, the Michigan Board of State Canvassers unanimously approved the form of a petition the group plans to circulate within the next six weeks.
Most Popular Stories
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Ashleyluvssugar, Texas Ryano Reunite in San Luis Rey
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby