New York-bred juveniles took center stage Dec. 14 at Aqueduct Racetrack with a pair of impressive performances by Good Luck Gus in the $100,000 Damon Runyon Stakes and Freudie Anne in the $100,000 East View Stakes.
In his first two-turn start, undefeated Samraat extinguished any doubts about his ability to handle route racing with a scintillating 16 3/4-length score in Damon Runyon Stakes for New York-bred 2-year-olds Dec. 18.
Haynesfield picked up his third consecutive victory Jan. 3, warding off a stiff mid-stretch challenge from Mike From Queens and drawing off to a 3 1/2-length victory in the 34th running of the $69.700 Count Fleet Stakes for 3-year-olds at a mile and 70 yards on Aqueduct's fast inner dirt track.
Racing at five eastern tracks was cancelled Sunday because of heavy snow flurries that pounded the region.
Grey Comet and jockey Aaron Gryder took the lead at the top of the stretch and pulled away from the field to keep his career record perfect in the 24th running of the $82,575 Damon Runyon Stakes at Aqueduct on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Second Summer catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Jack Hobbs, Vivlos Score on the Turf at Meydan
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Dubai World Cup Night
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Owner-Breeder Bertram Klein Dies
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup