Stakes winner Ghost Bay and the consistent Noteworthy Peach top the seven-horse field entered for the April 18 Federico Tesio Stakes at Pimlico Race Course, the local prep for the $1.5 million Preakness Stakes (gr. I) May 16.
Maryland Jockey Club officials were thinking green Friday when the Laurel Park racing office took entries for next Wednesday's card that included the first turf race of the year. This is the first time the Laurel winter meet has run races on the grass.
Godolphin's 5-year-old Marienbard earned his first win since last May in Friday's Jockey Club Stakes (Eng-II) at Newmarket in England. Under Jamie Spencer, the son of Caerleon utilized a strong finishing kick to upset favored Millenary in the 1 1/2-mile race. Also at Newmarket Friday, Sheikh Ahmed al Maktoum's Tarfshi upset favored Spring Oak in the listed Dahlia Stakes.
Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf (gr. IT) third-place finisher Spring Oak is entered in Friday's Directa Parseal Dahlia Stakes at Newmarket. Should she run, the daughter of Mark of Esteem will be making her 4-year-old debut and her first start for trainer Saeed bin Suroor and Godolphin.
Most Popular Stories
- Stellar Wind Upsets Beholder
- Maiden No More, Laoban Stuns Jim Dandy Rivals
- A. P. Indian Outduels Holy Boss in Vanderbilt
- Flintshire Scores in Eventful Bowling Green
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- Lexie Lou Goes Wire to Wire in Victoriana
- Pennsylvania Sanctions Trainer Preciado
- Monmouth, Suffolk Battle Over Entries
- Minding Overcomes Trouble for Nassau Win
- Mind Your Biscuits Takes Amsterdam