The cement-floor holding rooms and massive freezers are nearly ready for the horses, two years after fire destroyed the only horse slaughtering plant in Illinois and one of only three in the nation to process the meat for human consumption.
Legislators in Illinois have begun grumbling over riverboat casino legislation passed in 1999 that earmarks 15% of adjusted gross revenue from the state's 10th and final casino to the state's horse industry.
Most Popular Stories
- Two Derby Hopefuls Boast Derby-Winning Sires
- Blazing Speed Wins QE II Cup in Hong Kong
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend
- Dortmund Runs Easy in Final Derby Drill
- Mubtaahij in 'Missed Work' at Arlington
- StarLadies On Oaks Trail With Eskenformoney
- No Catching Cinco Charlie in William Walker
- Carpe Diem Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Effinex Wins Excelsior, Wicked Strong Third
- Longshot Si Sage Stuns Field in Last Tycoon