Kiaran McLaughlin has been training horses for the Maktoum family for 16 years, so when he was asked to "babysit" Arkansas Derby (gr. II) winner Gayego for a few weeks he had no problem at all. On Jan. 2, McLaughlin confirmed that Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin Stables had recently purchased the 4-year-old son of Gilded Time and he will be pointed to the $2 million Dubai Golden Shaheen (UAE-I) later this year.
Arkansas Derby (gr. II) winner Gayego set a Hollywood Park Cushion Track track record for 6 1/2 furlongs when he won an optional claiming allowance race Nov. 30.
After doing all of his running on Southern California's synthetic tracks, favored Gayego proved he has no problem with a conventional dirt surface, either. The Paulo Lobo-trained invader repelled Z Fortune in the stretch run for a three-quarter-length victory in the $1-million Arkansas Derby (gr. II) at Oaklawn Park.
Gayego figured to need a suicidal pace in order to catch the speedy Sea of Pleasure in the $79,700 San Pedro Stakes, and that's exactly what the Gilded Time colt received in setting a track record at Santa Anita Jan. 20.
Most Popular Stories
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Lady Pimpernel Gets First U.S. Win in Frankel
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Distinctiv Passion Rockets to Midnight Lute
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Divine Oath Holds On in McKnight Handicap
- Taris to be Sidelined After Injury in La Brea
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Speechify Takes Mr. Prospector at Gulfstream