Kiaran McLaughlin has been training horses for the Maktoum family for 16 years, so when he was asked to "babysit" Arkansas Derby (gr. II) winner Gayego for a few weeks he had no problem at all. On Jan. 2, McLaughlin confirmed that Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin Stables had recently purchased the 4-year-old son of Gilded Time and he will be pointed to the $2 million Dubai Golden Shaheen (UAE-I) later this year.
Arkansas Derby (gr. II) winner Gayego set a Hollywood Park Cushion Track track record for 6 1/2 furlongs when he won an optional claiming allowance race Nov. 30.
After doing all of his running on Southern California's synthetic tracks, favored Gayego proved he has no problem with a conventional dirt surface, either. The Paulo Lobo-trained invader repelled Z Fortune in the stretch run for a three-quarter-length victory in the $1-million Arkansas Derby (gr. II) at Oaklawn Park.
Gayego figured to need a suicidal pace in order to catch the speedy Sea of Pleasure in the $79,700 San Pedro Stakes, and that's exactly what the Gilded Time colt received in setting a track record at Santa Anita Jan. 20.
Most Popular Stories
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Del Mar Makes Adjustment to Slow Polytrack
- Perfect at Spa, Sweet Reason Ready for Test
- Clement Hirsch: Iotapa After BC Distaff Slot
- Trainer Joshua Stein Wins in Debut at Sonoma
- CDI Reports Record Second Quarter Revenues
- New York-Bred Palace At Home In Vanderbilt
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Juddmonte Stallions Available to S.H. Mares
- Tom Amoss Secures 3,000th Training Victory