Kiaran McLaughlin has been training horses for the Maktoum family for 16 years, so when he was asked to "babysit" Arkansas Derby (gr. II) winner Gayego for a few weeks he had no problem at all. On Jan. 2, McLaughlin confirmed that Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin Stables had recently purchased the 4-year-old son of Gilded Time and he will be pointed to the $2 million Dubai Golden Shaheen (UAE-I) later this year.
Arkansas Derby (gr. II) winner Gayego set a Hollywood Park Cushion Track track record for 6 1/2 furlongs when he won an optional claiming allowance race Nov. 30.
After doing all of his running on Southern California's synthetic tracks, favored Gayego proved he has no problem with a conventional dirt surface, either. The Paulo Lobo-trained invader repelled Z Fortune in the stretch run for a three-quarter-length victory in the $1-million Arkansas Derby (gr. II) at Oaklawn Park.
Gayego figured to need a suicidal pace in order to catch the speedy Sea of Pleasure in the $79,700 San Pedro Stakes, and that's exactly what the Gilded Time colt received in setting a track record at Santa Anita Jan. 20.
Most Popular Stories
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- Catastrophic Equine Injuries' Impact on Jockey Injuries
- 'Chrome' Set for San Antonio, Bayern Doubtful
- 74-Year-Old Horseplayer Wins 2015 NHC Title
- Flashy Debut for Royal Delta Half Brother
- Desormeaux Sets Derby Path for Texas Red
- Sportive Overcomes Fog to Win Portland Mile
- Wildcat Red Sidelined with Back Muscle Pull
- Options Abound for Holy Bull Winner Upstart
- Bob Neumeier Wins Celebrity Challenge at NHC