Kiaran McLaughlin has been training horses for the Maktoum family for 16 years, so when he was asked to "babysit" Arkansas Derby (gr. II) winner Gayego for a few weeks he had no problem at all. On Jan. 2, McLaughlin confirmed that Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin Stables had recently purchased the 4-year-old son of Gilded Time and he will be pointed to the $2 million Dubai Golden Shaheen (UAE-I) later this year.
Arkansas Derby (gr. II) winner Gayego set a Hollywood Park Cushion Track track record for 6 1/2 furlongs when he won an optional claiming allowance race Nov. 30.
After doing all of his running on Southern California's synthetic tracks, favored Gayego proved he has no problem with a conventional dirt surface, either. The Paulo Lobo-trained invader repelled Z Fortune in the stretch run for a three-quarter-length victory in the $1-million Arkansas Derby (gr. II) at Oaklawn Park.
Gayego figured to need a suicidal pace in order to catch the speedy Sea of Pleasure in the $79,700 San Pedro Stakes, and that's exactly what the Gilded Time colt received in setting a track record at Santa Anita Jan. 20.
Most Popular Stories
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Bourbon Courage Faces Csaba, Neck 'n Neck
- Woodbine Has Per-Card Wagering Rise in 2013
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North