Kiaran McLaughlin has been training horses for the Maktoum family for 16 years, so when he was asked to "babysit" Arkansas Derby (gr. II) winner Gayego for a few weeks he had no problem at all. On Jan. 2, McLaughlin confirmed that Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin Stables had recently purchased the 4-year-old son of Gilded Time and he will be pointed to the $2 million Dubai Golden Shaheen (UAE-I) later this year.
Arkansas Derby (gr. II) winner Gayego set a Hollywood Park Cushion Track track record for 6 1/2 furlongs when he won an optional claiming allowance race Nov. 30.
After doing all of his running on Southern California's synthetic tracks, favored Gayego proved he has no problem with a conventional dirt surface, either. The Paulo Lobo-trained invader repelled Z Fortune in the stretch run for a three-quarter-length victory in the $1-million Arkansas Derby (gr. II) at Oaklawn Park.
Gayego figured to need a suicidal pace in order to catch the speedy Sea of Pleasure in the $79,700 San Pedro Stakes, and that's exactly what the Gilded Time colt received in setting a track record at Santa Anita Jan. 20.
Most Popular Stories
- Palace Malice's Wins to Benefit Research
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Wildcat Red Stretches Speed Toward Classics
- Instant Racing Measure Advances in Nebraska
- KEEP Opposes Open-Ended Gambling Measure
- CHRB Begins Cobalt Testing
- Indiana Downs Has New Name as Part of Rebrand
- TimeformUS Weekend Stakes Plays
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan