Paul Mellon, Mack Miller won grade Is on three of four Saturdays at Saratoga in '87
Grade I winner and pensioned sire Crusader Sword died due to the infirmities of old age at Old Friends at Cabin Creek near Greenfield Center, N.Y., May 10.
Crusader Sword, one of the leading 2-year-olds from his crop, has been pensioned from stallion duty and will reside at Old Friends' retirement farm in New York.
Tin Cup Chalice, owned, bred, and trained by Michael Lecesse, became the first horse to sweep the OTB's Big Apple Triple on Aug. 20 at Saratoga, when he held off an upset bid by That'srightofficer to win the 31st running of the $150,000, nine-furlong Albany Stakes for 3-year-old New York-breds by a head.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
A family full of consistent winners, albeit not terribly flashy, is propelling Tin Cup Chalice toward a shot at the Big Apple Triple, a series for New York-breds that offers a $250,000 to the horse that sweeps it. The son of Crusader Sword is out of the female family that produce Silky Sullivan.
Proud Crusader, Hip No. 182, brought a final bid of $67,000 to top the opening session of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's 2001 Winter Mixed Sale. Consigned by Double S Farm, Agent, the 7-year-old Crusader Sword mare, in foal to Gilded Time, was sold to R Bar S Thoroughbreds. Proud Crusader is out of stakes winner Very Proud and is a half-sister to stakes winner Proud and True as well as stakes placed Proud Proud Proud and Cut Proud.
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Abel Tasman, Elate Exit CCA Oaks in Good Order
- Awesome Banner Posts Bullet Ahead of Vanderbilt
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Portrade Back at Saratoga for A.P. Smithwick
- Plumptre Leaving Godolphin Australia Position
- Gun Runner Posts Bullet in Breeze for Whitney