Lochte returned to his winning ways when fending off late-running Old Time Hockey and favored Sky Flight in a Tampa Bay Stakes (gr. IIIT) thriller on the turf Jan. 24.
The son of Medaglia d'Oro has demonstrated a distinct fondness for the firmer going of the Gulfstream course in the past and is scheduled to seek a return to winning form in the $200,000 Fort Lauderdale (gr. IIT).
A fast pace under strong pressure failed to deter front-running Bluegrass Singer, who shook loose of his rivals in the lane and held sway to the wire in the $100,000 Mucho Macho Man Stakes for 3-year-olds at Gulfstream Park.
Pick of the Litter benefited from a ground-saving trip under Corey Lanerie to get up in the last strides over favored Departing in the $200,000 Fayette Stakes (gr. II), earning his first graded win Oct. 25 at Keeneland.
Trainer Marcus Vitali got what he was looking for in the $75,000 Eight Miles West Stakes Oct. 11 at Gulfstream Park West -- a sign that Valid deserved a trip to Santa Anita Park for the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I).
Crossed Sabres Farm's Valid, a major pace factor in his previous three starts in stakes, finally broke through with a victory in the $211,000 Monmouth Cup (gr. II) for 3-year-olds and up at Monmouth Park July 27.
Reigning Horse of the Year Wise Dan will get his 2014 campaign started April 11, when he takes on six foes in the $300,000 Maker's 46 Mile (gr. IT) at Keeneland in his first start of the year.
Crossed Sabres Farm's Lochte charged up the rail and pulled off a huge shock in the $300,000 Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap (gr. IT) Feb. 9, scoring a 2 3/4-length win at 39-1 odds as the longest shot in the field.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome' Tops U.S. Nominees for World Cup
- Jockey Chapa Faces Felony Race-Fixing Charges
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- First Foal Reported for Fort Larned
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for Jan. 27, 2015
- Trickmeister to Tomorrow Bloodstock in NY
- First Foal Reported for Morning Line
- Fastnet Rock Filly Tops NZ Premier Sale
- Washington Owner/Breeder Paxton Dead at 76
- Nerud-Owned and Bred Colt Wins at Big A