California trainer John Sadler sent Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II) winner Candy Boy through his final major preparations for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) April 26 at Churchill Downs.
The Golden Shaheen (UAE-I), over the straight six furlongs of the Nad Al Sheba track, was expected to be won by an American horse, and so it proved. But very few predicted the winner. Cajun Beat, winner of the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), was a warm favorite but could manage only fourth behind compatriots Our New Recruit and Alke.
Most Popular Stories
- Adena Springs' Roberts Returns to Training
- The Dirt On Synthetics Timeline
- Thoroughbred Club to Honor Veterinarians
- What's Going On Here: Keeping the Promise
- Encouraging Starts to Saratoga, Del Mar Meets
- The Week in Photos for 7/22/2014
- Commanding Curve Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Jerkens Aims for 'Wicked Strong' Saratoga
- Better Lucky Shines; My Miss Aurelia Third
- Filly Untapable Works Toward Haskell