California trainer John Sadler sent Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II) winner Candy Boy through his final major preparations for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) April 26 at Churchill Downs.
The Golden Shaheen (UAE-I), over the straight six furlongs of the Nad Al Sheba track, was expected to be won by an American horse, and so it proved. But very few predicted the winner. Cajun Beat, winner of the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), was a warm favorite but could manage only fourth behind compatriots Our New Recruit and Alke.
Most Popular Stories
- Wise Dan Turns in First Breeze Since Surgery
- Multiple Group I Winner The Fugue Retired
- Jockey Stevens to Undergo Knee Surgery
- Two Fillies Among 37 Ohio Derby Nominees
- French Derby Duo Face Off at Longchamp
- Integral Flies to Victory in Falmouth Stakes
- TimeformUS Weekend Stakes Analysis
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- 'Princess' Looks Tough in Delaware Handicap