The $750,000 Virginia Derby (gr. IIIT) attracted 11 starters, including English Channel, the winner of the first leg of the $5-million "Grand Slam of Grass." Jockey John Velazquez returns to ride Todd Pletcher's $500,000 Colonial Turf Cup winner.
The March 19 Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III) drew a field of eight, but the race for all intents and purposes comes down to Sun King vs. Sun King. The Nick Zito-trained colt is the class of the field, and the race his to lose. Only two others in the field have even been nominated to the Triple Crown.
Live Oak Plantation's High Fly, an impressive winner of his three starts to date, stretches out to two turns for the first time in Saturday's $150,000 Holy Bull (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Gulfstream Park.
Sam-Son Farm's Dance With Ravens, a 2-year-old son of A.P. Indy out of Canadian Horse of the Year Dance Smartly, broke his maiden in impressive fashion Monday when he took the inside track to win the Grey Breeders' Cup Stakes (Can-II) at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Sanford Adds Another Chapter to Rich History Saturday
- CHRB Discusses Cutting Back Racing Dates
- Proctor's Ledge Makes Splash in Lake George
- Litfin: No Going Against Arrogate in San Diego
- Saratoga Opening Day Sees Handle Increase
- Tiz a Slam Heads Prince of Wales Stakes
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap