It was an excellent weekend on the old trail, with some first-class performances, not only by the winners, but several of the losers as well. The latest Top 15 follows the column.
In an awesome-looking performance, Vineyard Haven won the $400,000 Champagne (gr.I) Oct. 4 at Belmont Park. The victory would likely stamp him as an early favorite for the $2-million Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr.I) Oct. 25, if he was being pointed to the Oct. 25 race at Santa Anita.
HRTV's weekly series analyzing each division of the Breeders' Cup. This episode includes recaps of the Jockey Club Gold Cup and the Lady's Secret, previews of the Spinster, Champagne, and Frizette, and much, much more.
Vineyard Haven, Cribnote, Munnings and Break Water Edison, the top four finishers, respectively, in the Hopeful Stakes (gr.I) last month at Saratoga, meet again in the $400,000 Champagne Stakes (gr.I) at Belmont Park Oct. 4.
HRTV's weekly series analyzing each division of the Breeders' Cup. This episode includes an analysis of the Woodward, a review of the Juveniles, a preview of the Ruffian and much, much more.
In an eventful running of the $250,000 Three Chimneys Hopeful (gr. I), it was Vineyard Haven who avoided problems and cruised to victory in Saratoga's championship race for 2-year-olds Sept. 1.
Desert Party, hoping to justify the $2.1 million sales-topping price Darley Stable paid at Fasig-Tipton Calder's 2-year-olds in training sale in February, faces seven rivals in the $250,000 Three Chimneys Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) on closing day at Saratoga Sept. 1.
Most Popular Stories
- Del Mar Sets Plan to Solve Turf Course Issue
- Some Top Trainers Support Phasing Out Salix
- Indiana Sire Lantana Mob Gets First Winner
- WV Hires New Lab; Purse Money Still in Limbo
- Champion She's a Tiger Retired
- Tumor Side Effect Leads to Filly's Group I DQ
- Bertha Wright of Calumet Dynasty Dies at 94
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Illinois Tracks Seeking Fewer Dates in 2015
- Monmouth to Reduce Overnight Purses by 10%