Olympia entered stud in 1951 at Danada Farm in Kentucky and proved a prolific sire, getting 40 stakes winners (12%) until his retirement in 1967. His progeny tended to have ample speed like himself.
Two weeks after losing champion Crème Fraiche, Brushwood Stable enjoyed a hard-fought victory by Kicken Kris in the $150,000 Lawrence Realization (gr. III) at Belmont Park on Saturday.
Crème Fraiche, who won the 1985 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) and retired as one of racing's richest runners, was euthanized Oct. 9 at Elizabeth Moran's Brushwood Stable near Malvern, Pa.
Hal's Hope earned his first graded stakes win since the Florida Derby (gr. I) on March 11, 2000, when he went wire-to-wire to win Sunday's $100,000 Crème Fraiche Handicap (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park.
Rose Family Stable's Hal's Hope, winner of the Florida Derby (gr. I) two years ago and most recently seventh in the Donn Handicap (gr. I) Feb. 9, worked five furlongs handily in 1:00 4/5 at Calder Race Course Feb. 26 in preparation for the Crème Fraiche Handicap (gr. III) on March 10 at Gulfstream Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Full Gate for Pat Day Mile
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Gryder Seeks First Derby With Trojan Nation
- Nyquist Jogs, Schools at Churchill Downs