Richard Mandella, who made history by winning four Breeders' Cup races on Oct. 25, closed out the Oak Tree meeting at Santa Anita in style Sunday by winning the $74,150 Avigaition Stakes with 7-5 favorite Crazy Ensign.
Jockey Patrick Valenzuela guided Tates Creek through a narrow opening in the stretch and the multiple graded stakes winner did the rest, winning the $500,000 Yellow Ribbon (gr. IT) by three-quarters of a length over fast-closing Musical Chimes.
Locally based Lindsay Jean took the lead from pacesetter Neon Queen entering the stretch and then held off Southern California invaders Bush Triumph and Crazy Ensign to win the $100,000 Brown Bess Handicap (gr. IIT) by 1 1/2 length Saturday at Golden Gate Fields.
A well-matched field of nine fillies and mares will meet on the turf Saturday in the $100,000 Brown Bess Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Golden Gate Fields.
Tates Creek and rider Jerry Bailey wore down even-money favorite Voodoo Dancer and Corey Nakatani in the final strides of Sunday's $200,000 Las Palmas Handicap (gr. IIT), registering a thrilling neck victory in the concluding stakes race of the Oak Tree at Santa Anita meeting.
Astra takes her place in history with a repeat victory in the Beverly Hills Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- Prize Exhibit Sweeps by in Megahertz
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm