Mariensky has been primed for the Garden City Breeders' Cup (gr. I) spot after her troubled U.S. debut, while Craigsteel would relish a soft going in the Man o' War (gr. IT). The races are Sept. 7-8.
Kim Loves Bucky, a 12-1 shot, upset favorite Cetewayo to take Wednesday's Elkhorn Stakes (gr. III) at Keeneland.
The closing week of Keeneland's 16-day meet gets underway with Wednesday's $100,000 Elkhorn Stakes (gr. IIIT), going 12 furlongs on the turf, showcases a 10-horse field of turf marathoners.
Whata Brainstorm returns to stakes company Saturday just in time to attempt to repeat as the winner of the Pan American Handicap (gr. IIT) at Gulfstream Park.
Whata Brainstorm saved ground along the hedge under jockey John Velazquez before swinging out for the stretch run en route to winning Sunday's $250,000 Pan American Handicap (gr. IIT) on a firm turf course at Gulfstream Park. Whata Brainstorm completed the 1 1/2 miles in 2:23.75 -- three-fifths of a second off the course record -- after running the final quarter-mile in :23.75.
Under a dense blanket of fog, all three of trainer Christophe Clement's Breeders' Cup hopefuls worked on the turf Thursday morning at Belmont Park. New York Racing Association clockers caught Forbidden Apple (Mile) going a half-mile in :49. Stablemates Ciro and Craigsteel, both bound for the Turf, each worked five-eighths, galloping out three-quarters.
Age proved no impediment to 9-year-old gelding John's Call, who led all the way Saturday in the $750,000 Turf Classic Invitational (gr. IT) at Belmont Park. Jean-Luc Samyn was the winning rider in both of the day's premier turf events, taking both the Turf Classic and the co-featured Flower Bowl Handicap (gr. IT).
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- Three Trustees Named to National Museum Board
- What's Going On Here: Upper Crust
- New York Discusses Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance