Mariensky has been primed for the Garden City Breeders' Cup (gr. I) spot after her troubled U.S. debut, while Craigsteel would relish a soft going in the Man o' War (gr. IT). The races are Sept. 7-8.
Kim Loves Bucky, a 12-1 shot, upset favorite Cetewayo to take Wednesday's Elkhorn Stakes (gr. III) at Keeneland.
The closing week of Keeneland's 16-day meet gets underway with Wednesday's $100,000 Elkhorn Stakes (gr. IIIT), going 12 furlongs on the turf, showcases a 10-horse field of turf marathoners.
Whata Brainstorm returns to stakes company Saturday just in time to attempt to repeat as the winner of the Pan American Handicap (gr. IIT) at Gulfstream Park.
Whata Brainstorm saved ground along the hedge under jockey John Velazquez before swinging out for the stretch run en route to winning Sunday's $250,000 Pan American Handicap (gr. IIT) on a firm turf course at Gulfstream Park. Whata Brainstorm completed the 1 1/2 miles in 2:23.75 -- three-fifths of a second off the course record -- after running the final quarter-mile in :23.75.
Under a dense blanket of fog, all three of trainer Christophe Clement's Breeders' Cup hopefuls worked on the turf Thursday morning at Belmont Park. New York Racing Association clockers caught Forbidden Apple (Mile) going a half-mile in :49. Stablemates Ciro and Craigsteel, both bound for the Turf, each worked five-eighths, galloping out three-quarters.
Age proved no impediment to 9-year-old gelding John's Call, who led all the way Saturday in the $750,000 Turf Classic Invitational (gr. IT) at Belmont Park. Jean-Luc Samyn was the winning rider in both of the day's premier turf events, taking both the Turf Classic and the co-featured Flower Bowl Handicap (gr. IT).
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot