Del Mar was granted approval to conduct its first fall meet in more than 40 years by the California Horse Racing Board at the commission's regular monthly meeting Sept. 23.
NTRA board also updates NTRA Safety and Integrity Alliance code of standards, which serves as a basis for furture Alliance accreditation. Revisions call for injury review committees and starting gate-removal protocols.
Two Del Mar Thoroughbred Club executives have been promoted "to reflect the organization's top-level leadership team's equal stature and balance."
It may be a few years down the road, but there's a chance the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club could host a future Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Del Mar will continue the so-called "Players Pick 5" bet instituted by Hollywood Park this spring and will add a few new twists to its wagering menu for the meet that begins July 20.
Regardless of how you slice it, the average on-track figures for the 2009 Del Mar meet continue to run ahead of last year as the 37-day stand heads into the final week of action.
Most Popular Stories
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Legends: Charlie Whittingham, the Bald Eagle
- White-Headed Foal Named Southern Phantom
- Morris to Ride Mongolian Saturday in July Cup
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Six Neglected Horses Cleared to Leave Farm
- Gaudet, Amoss to Join Saratoga Live Team
- 375 Yearlings Cataloged for Arqana Sale
- Bramlage: Decreased Use of Depo-Medrol a Plus
- Fewer Fatalities Tied to Risk-Factor Changes