Stan E. Fulton's Crackup, who finished sixth in the El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) on March 8 at Golden Gate Fields, underwent surgery last week to remove bone chips from both front ankles. He will be turned out for several months, trainer Rafael Becerra said.
Trainer Rafael Becerra said that Great State Challenge Juvenile winner Crackup bled badly during his sixth-place effort in Saturday's El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields and has been declared from consideration for any of the Triple Crown races.
Ministers Wild Cat can validate his status as a Kentucky Derby contender with a victory Saturday in the $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields.
Trainer Rafael Becerra sent out his two Triple Crown hopefuls, Crackup and Sum Trick, for works over a fast Santa Anita main track Friday morning.
On Saturday, Great State Challenge winner Crackup worked for the first time since bleeding badly while finishing fourth in the Jan. 18 Santa Catalina Stakes (gr. II), logging a half-mile in :48 1/5. Trainer Rafael Becerra is considering the El Camino Real Derby for his next start.
Ten 3-year-olds were entered to run in Santa Anita's $150,000 Santa Catalina Stakes (gr. II) on Saturday, the first major steppingstone to the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) on April 5.
Great State Challenge Juvenile winner Crackup worked six furlongs at Santa Anita Wednesday morning on his first day as a 3-year-old in 1:14.40.
Two Harris Frams' standouts, Unlimited Value and Super High, were among the many winners during the 13th California Cup Day series of races at Santa Anita's Oak Tree meeting Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage