The pacesetting Tarlow, ridden to a frantic finish by Patrick Valenzuela, reached the wire a nose in front of Dream of Summer to win the $300,000 Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park Saturday.
Moscow Burning was named California-bred Horse of the Year, top grass horse, and older female of 2004 the night of Feb. 7 at the California Thoroughbred Breeders Association annual awards dinner at the Hilton San Diego Resort.
Grade I winner Midas Eyes, stretching out to nine furlongs in Saturday's $1 million Ocala Breeders' Sales Classic at Gulfstream Park, is the 3-1 morning line favorite in a full field for the featured event on the Sunshine Millions card.
California Cup Classic winner Cozy Guy worked five furlongs on Santa Anita's fast main track Saturday in 1:01 2/5 in preparation for the $1 million Sunshine Millions Classic at Gulfstream Park on Jan. 29.
Made the favorite in his turf debut Sunday at Santa Anita Park, 2003 juvenile champion Action This Day failed to fire while finishing ninth. In other stakes on opening day of the winter meeting, Whilly prevailed in the $112,700 Sir Beaufort Stakes and Uncle Denny took the $138,625 California Breeders' Champion Stakes.
Trainer Dan Hendricks, paralyzed from the waist down in a motorcycle accident July 7, won the $250,000 California Cup Classic when his 20-1 shot Cozy Guy gutted out a stretch-long duel over 25-1 Lava Man at Oak Tree Santa Anita Park.
Jockey Martin Pedroza, who earlier Saturday guided Semi Lost to victory in the $100,000 Pomona Derby, set a meet record for wins in a season at Fairplex Park. He finished with five victories on the day.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Has Lone Churchill Breeze
- Champ Calgary Cat Up Late in Jacques Cartier
- Dortmund, Other CA Shippers Arrive at CD
- Three Derby Hopefuls Have Derby-Winning Sires
- Three to Represent New York in Derby
- Blingismything Rallies to Capture Wilshire
- The Pharoah Show Gets Rave Reviews
- Jacobson, Cruz Take Aqueduct Spring Titles
- Social Inclusion Second in 2015 Debut
- Dortmund Runs Easy in Final Derby Drill